GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished the 535i 5-spd swap . . .

Default Finished the 535i 5-spd swap . . .

Well, almost finished. Still have some loose ends to complete but took it for a test drive last night. All is well. The 3.64 diff seems about right. Shifts are smooth. Not sure what shift lever we used but it looks very similar to the e36 M3 proportions & has the older style metal ball. I was able to snag a bunch of parts at the U-pull-it last summer.

We used a 15 lb 633 CSi single mass flywheel & rev's readily but comparing it to the 19 lb e28 single mass flywheel I used in my 7, I can see why the factory went to the dual mass. The drivetrain harmonics are obvious if I pull a sloppy shift.

The bulk of the major components went in easily & got most of that done over the 3 day MLK weekend. The pedal swap went fast but it took 3 evenings to sort out the clutch master cylinder that kept coming apart when bleeding by retracting the pedal too far. I had to do some custom machining to make it bullet proof & works fine now. DO NOT buy Febi master cylinders, get the FTE instead, much better quality.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpos...92&postcount=1
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Are the rear ends in the manual cars different then in the automatic cars?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPopTart
    Are the rear ends in the manual cars different then in the automatic cars?
    All 535i 5-spd's came with a 3.46 diff.
    Auto 535's had the 3.91 for 89-90
    Auto 535's from 91-93 had a 4.27

All e32 735i manuals had a 3.64 (US)
    I'm not sure what other models used the 3.64

Then there are differences with the input & axle flange sizes, which are interchangable. I had to swap the input flange on the 3.64 to the smaller one (thanks Rigmaster). Not sure why the donor driveshaft was the smaller size. It came from a factory orignal 535im, 3/90 build date.

Vines has alot more info on models vs. diff ratio:

http://www.vinesauto.com/techinfo.htm

I was going to put the 3.64 in my 7, it presently has a 3.91 which is a bit short for a stick. I have a 3.73 for it that I'll put in once I do the e23 turbo install.
    gale

Hey Don...... good job! I'm sure your son thinks you are the best dad ever
    Not many dads would spend that much quality time under a car with there son. Gerald was hinting around about the suspension was next on the list???
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Quote Originally Posted by M20Turbo
    Gerald was hinting around about the suspension was next on the list???
    Yeah, I scored an M5 rear swaybar on ebay for cheap & it came yesterday. We'll have to order the front one. The car came with a box of brand new Lemforder control arms & tie rods in the trunk. He desparately needs tires & is saving his pennies for some 17" wheels. It will be a sweet ride when we get done with it. Then we'll have to see about sending him to driving school.

Thanks for all your help & encouragement. We enjoyed your visits to my "immaculately clean & organized" shop.
    gale

Congrats on the install.. and in 4 days at that.

I'm about to get into this soon.. once the weather permits. I'm certainly going to hit you up if I have any question. Lucky for me, the donor car I'm getting is same year/model.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Then we'll have to see about sending him to driving school.

Thanks for all your help & encouragement. We enjoyed your visits to my "immaculately clean & organized" shop.
    Driving school is always a good idea no matter what age you are Gerald drove my car, and he did very well shifting. We did how ever stay in the neighborhood.

As for your "immaculately clean & organized" shop? If YOU know where everything is, thats all that matters....... You should share some of those pic's you took, maybe the board will be inspired by your shop.
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

So are manuals desirable? We have one laying around at the shop cause I had to pull a 2.5 for my auto car. All the clutch stuff is still sitting in the parts car. Sellable?

So are manuals desirable? We have one laying around at the shop cause I had to pull a 2.5 for my auto car. All the clutch stuff is still sitting in the parts car. Sellable?
    Yes and Yes

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

By "shop", do you mean Don's garage? If so, post them up please

Quote Originally Posted by M20Turbo
    Driving school is always a good idea no matter what age you are Gerald drove my car, and he did very well shifting. We did how ever stay in the neighborhood.

As for your "immaculately clean & organized" shop? If YOU know where everything is, thats all that matters....... You should share some of those pic's you took, maybe the board will be inspired by your shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast