GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retrofit early type remote central locking problem

Default Retrofit early type remote central locking problem

I'm trying to retro fit the old style (pre 92) factory remote central locking to my car. I'm not interested in fitting an after market rc system.

I've got the ir control module, the ir receiver and the dash led out of a wrecked donor car. I bought a new key fob (the type with the flip out key) as all the donor ones that I could find were totally screwed.

I've plugged the components in - the car is pre-wired for all of it.

When I follow the instructions to initialize the fob nothing happens. The owners manual says to turn the ignition to on and hold the fob above the dash led and hold down the lock button until the led on the fob flashes rapidly. Then turn the car off and thats it. I also found some instructions that say to hold down the unlock button, but that didn't make any difference.

Problem is that the fob won't lock or unlock the car. Is there some trick to doing this? are the instructions wrong? Are there any parts of this system that commonly fail?

I dont think this is a very common option for an E34 to have, but is very common on an E32. (help shogun!)

myles see if this helps
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/739005/3

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to avoid the alpine systems. It wasn't an option on the old e34s like mine, it was only introduced on the later models.

My car has the original DWA2 system and I'm just trying to add the ir option to it.

i have recently seen little "test your remote" displays at the local parts stores like Aoutozone etc, where you could check that the remote was at least transmitting something. Know you are in OZ but perhaps there is something similar there?

Also wonder if the IR reciever is functional, but no ideas on how to monitor or test it.

I'm curious about this too ? Is the E34 as early as a 5/91 prewired for a transmitter ?? I know mine didn't come with one already.
    Cheers,vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    i have recently seen little "test your remote" displays at the local parts stores like Aoutozone etc, where you could check that the remote was at least transmitting something. Know you are in OZ but perhaps there is something similar there?

Also wonder if the IR reciever is functional, but no ideas on how to monitor or test it.

I've never heard of that in this part of the world. Its a good idea, so I will have a look around and try to find something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster
    I'm curious about this too ? Is the E34 as early as a 5/91 prewired for a transmitter ?? I know mine didn't come with one already.
    Cheers,vinny
    I couldn't say for sure, but the cars that I've worked on are. All the cars that I have played with are either 525 or 535 and have check control systems.

The IR control module lives in a slot next to the relay and general modules. There is a blue 26 pin connector mounted at the bottom of one of the slots, so this module just slides into the slot and plugs in when pressed down. The IR receiver connects to a white six pin plug near the sunroof switch. The LED and sync unit mounts in the top of dash fan vent and connects to a 6 pin blue connector.

I've got two of each part now and have installed the second parts in my 525 and it works. So I've got some trial and error to do to figure out whats not working in the 535.

Default Which alarm?

I think this is a really great idea. Would love to do the same but alarms are not my strong point. Could you give an idiots guide on what to look for to decide if its possible and whats needed? My car doesnt have a remote key or fob. It does have the LED on top of the dash. Said I knew SFA

Johan has got some excellent instructions here. Personally I fitted an aftermarket alarm because I wanted 2 way paging, remote start etc etc, but I did get one of the switchblade keys because I think they're cool

16 Feet of pure pleasure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast