GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Semi OT: Solenoid / Starter issues on winter beater.......

Default Semi OT: Solenoid / Starter issues on winter beater.......

The 92 pontiac 'funbird' has gone on strike and I'd really appreciate any help I can to diagnose. I'm thinking solenoid, but I always like to check with you guys. Starter is in a b!atch of a spot beneath the intake, so I'm not looking forward to it. Plus its an auto so I can't get it into the garage without a fight But enough complaining

Its been pretty cold here (-25 celcius), but the battery has a solid 12.4 V (multimeter reading). There is also 12.3X volts at the + cable connecction at the solenoid. There is NO clicking at the solenoid a start is attempted. Lights and evrything work fine. Oh, just for $hits, I jumped it with my work truck to no avail.

Whatta ya think?

Thanks in advance, again,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Solinoid

My 318is did that last summer several times, it seemed like that one was sensitive to heat. Starting the car after a short stop, the starter wouldn't click, just dead. After the car cooled it was fine.

Since the start is tough to get to I would replace it with a rebuilt one. Even there, it depends on the quality of the rebuild. Most rebuilders replace only the obvious.

Warren
    88 325iX
    91 318is

95 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    The 92 pontiac 'funbird' has gone on strike and I'd really appreciate any help I can to diagnose. I'm thinking solenoid, but I always like to check with you guys. Starter is in a b!atch of a spot beneath the intake, so I'm not looking forward to it. Plus its an auto so I can't get it into the garage without a fight But enough complaining

Its been pretty cold here (-25 celcius), but the battery has a solid 12.4 V (multimeter reading). There is also 12.3X volts at the + cable connecction at the solenoid. There is NO clicking at the solenoid a start is attempted. Lights and evrything work fine. Oh, just for $hits, I jumped it with my work truck to no avail.

Whatta ya think?

Thanks in advance, again,

Dave M
    If you mean you have 12v at the 'little' terminal when you turn the key and the main thick cable is intact, the solenoid may well be the problem. If you are like me you would jumper the solenoid and see if it starts. Take your watch off first so you dont weld it though. Assume you checked the ground cable from the engine/gearbox is intact? After that it can only be the starter itself is stuck or not working, cant it?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    If you mean you have 12v at the 'little' terminal when you turn the key and the main thick cable is intact, the solenoid may well be the problem. If you are like me you would jumper the solenoid and see if it starts. Take your watch off first so you dont weld it though. Assume you checked the ground cable from the engine/gearbox is intact? After that it can only be the starter itself is stuck or not working, cant it?
    Thanks to both you gentlemen,

Its only me out there today, so I'm unable to easily check for voltage at the 'little' solenoid wire or attempt to jump the solenoid. Again, its in a tight spot, so jumping might be difficult. However, once I get help, I'll try the jump or use friends to push some cars around to gert it into the garage.

Anyhow, sounds like we're on the right track,

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    If you are like me you would jumper the solenoid and see if it starts. Take your watch off first so you dont weld it though.

Hahaha, someone after my own heart there! You have to be totally insane to do this - and best to wear gardening gloves/gauntlets when you try it. Last time I did this I lost all the hair off the back of my hand because it was in a tight spot.

It'll tell you immediately where the problem lies... (you can use jumper cables if you're not enough to use a spanner) ...it may be that your starter aux relay is toast

Whack the starter with a hammer if you can... to see if that fixes the problem. Get a good hit out of it.

LOL
    yu are not alone.
    I need to replace the wife's starter as it is having temp sensitive start issues as well.

On her's though it clicks ut doesn't spin. once temps are above ~45 it is a-OK.

the PO had a bad power steering hose and I bet some atf seeped into it and is gumming up the works...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Whack the starter with a hammer if you can... to see if that fixes the problem. Get a good hit out of it.
    Tried this, but my swing is severley hampered by location and I couldn't get much out of it.

Location, location, location!!! Should have listened to my real estate agent.

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

A steel pipe makes everything easy...