GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Small vibration when braking...

Default Small vibration when braking...

-Small vibration that seems to come from the front right wheel when braking
    -Happen either at low speed within the city or at road speed
    -More noticable if i just touch a bit the brake pedal
    -Trust arm, ball joint, tie rod all seems OK

-same trouble (same symptoms, same side) was solve at 277000km cause being that the left caliper was sticking and badly affect the left rotor; so both caliper was reconditioned and rotor not very old was turned

-trouble reappers at 282000km, rotors was then too thin and was the cause of the vibration (always on the right wheel), both rotors replaced trouble disapears for a while...

- now have 289000km, rotor look good and the same damn vibration came back since 285000km

What's your thought ? could it be bad job done on the caliper ?

Raise the car and spin the wheel by hand. There is supposed to be a light drag but you should be able to spin the wheel by hand fairly easily. If it makes less than a full revolution with a good spin or the drag seems to vary depending on position then you likely still have a caliper sticking, either on it's slides or the piston in the bore. If the rotor has too much runout it may need replacement. Remachining may work but remachining a warped rotor to make it run true results in uneven thickness and heat disipation sometimes causing the whole cycle over again.
    If the brakes seem okay and you are convinced the suspension is not at fault a tire or wheel are probably to blame. Rotating the problem wheel to a different corner will confirm this.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default As Ross said but...

grasp the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and then 12 and 6 oclock to see if there is any play. Also, when you rotate the wheel, even if it runs freely, listen for slight rumbling noise as could be a wheel bearing.

You can still have an out of true rotor....

Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    -Small vibration that seems to come from the front right wheel when braking
    -Happen either at low speed within the city or at road speed
    -More noticable if i just touch a bit the brake pedal
    -Trust arm, ball joint, tie rod all seems OK

-same trouble (same symptoms, same side) was solve at 277000km cause being that the left caliper was sticking and badly affect the left rotor; so both caliper was reconditioned and rotor not very old was turned

-trouble reappers at 282000km, rotors was then too thin and was the cause of the vibration (always on the right wheel), both rotors replaced trouble disapears for a while...

- now have 289000km, rotor look good and the same damn vibration came back since 285000km

What's your thought ? could it be bad job done on the caliper ?
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

check your tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by philbyil
    grasp the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and then 12 and 6 oclock to see if there is any play. Also, when you rotate the wheel, even if it runs freely, listen for slight rumbling noise as could be a wheel bearing.

You can still have an out of true rotor....
    You can not be serious. If you can detect any play by your feel on the wheel on a bimmer, it is on the verge of falling apart. Even if the wheel bearing is bad you will not detect any play.

This is not a Honda Civic. Even a Honda Civic nowadays you probably won't find anything worng by grabbing the wheels should you detect noises driving.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Check your rotors for thickness, warping or other issues. Depending on how long since your last brake pad replacement, the mech may have missed checking them thoroughly.

Default I am serious....

and don't be so disrespectful young man !!!!

Just so you don't think I am totally brain dead or smoking crack, check out this link...It is to one of the major global wheel bearing manufacturers.....

http://www.timken.com/industries/aut...ssue1-2005.pdf[

QUOTE=yaofeng]You can not be serious. If you can detect any play by your feel on the wheel on a bimmer, it is on the verge of falling apart. Even if the wheel bearing is bad you will not detect any play.

This is not a Honda Civic. Even a Honda Civic nowadays you probably won't find anything worng by grabbing the wheels should you detect noises driving.[/QUOTE]
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"