GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finns, Swedes, Norse and Canadian opinions needed

Default Finns, Swedes, Norse and Canadian opinions needed

What do the experts of winter driving use for tire pressures in snow?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

As spec, meaning what shows in the door sills. I just have excellent tires, slow it down, brake ahead of usual, and shift gears earlier when it snows alot. When it spins alot on start, starting in second is even better, and ease up on the throttle to lessen the spin and to regain better grip. Otherwise the snow melts under the tire and the spinning only gets worse, or goes on longer than necessary.

Getting out of a parking snowed mess requires going forward and backwards subsequently and keeping the car going making it rock forwards and back, then sensibly step on it until cleared. The technique is to make a path that will let you gain enough momentum to get out.

I have a lot of fun with these situations !

this is my first winter with it but after a few setups i'm using 35psi all round on skinny 205/65/15 Nokkians and have i think 20kg in the trunk. very very happy with my traction and steering - i plan on experimenting more. no expert here but i've driven through a lot of snow... definitely subscribing to this thread!

...help me i'm freeeezing...

Hey,here in New Hampshire we've had snow on the ground steady for over a month. Historic snow fall this year. I have all weather tires and spec pressure but of course am not foolish enough to go where I'm not sure I can pass. I won't go down a steep hill I know i'd have to go up again if its packed with snow but driving over mostly flat roads even packed with snow has been OK.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Normal driving on roads, I use spec, 31-33 psi. I find the limited slip is really good in my car and I rarely if ever get stuck. Even ice racing, or winter rallying, I leave things at stock pressure to make sure I have the contact patch on the snow as it was designed to be. If you are in deeper snow consistently, you might want to try thinner tires, as they cut through the snow a bit better than an ultra wide tire.

I drive on snow about 4-5months a year.

Never really thought much about tire pressure.. somewhere between 28-32psi I guess.. I dont think it really matters that much. Whats more important is that the tires rubber is not gone hard, it needs to be elastic.

If you are using winter tires with "nails" it is not _that_ important as the nails are doing the job, not the rubber.

We often have races on icecovered lakes.

Some are using the Rallye tires wich looks like this:

Here it is important to have much air in the tire, so that you dont ruin the nails.

(sorry for spamming with pics)
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

That looks like a blast. I love driving in low grip conditions. Putting my good car in one of those races would be a hard thing to do.
    One time I drove on frozen lake and was spinning and tossing my passengers all over the car. It was great fun until a bunch of ice fishermen got upset with me.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

It is a lot of fun - we race on the Lachine Canal, the only thing that makes it risky are the white frozen Buoys, those can quickly ruin your day :o

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    That looks like a blast. I love driving in low grip conditions. Putting my good car in one of those races would be a hard thing to do.
    One time I drove on frozen lake and was spinning and tossing my passengers all over the car. It was great fun until a bunch of ice fishermen got upset with me.
    Since you're in Chicago, maybe you'd like to participate in the ice trials these guys put on : http://www.w-a-g.org/ They tentatively had a trial set up for Sunday, weather permitting (conditions look pretty good to me).

When I was driving an Audi a few years ago, I was out there for most of the trials. I'm not going to make it this weekend but hope to do so once or twice next month.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    It is a lot of fun - we race on the Lachine Canal, the only thing that makes it risky are the white frozen Buoys, those can quickly ruin your day :o
    I totally want to see that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast