GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Replacement???

Default Transmission Replacement???

Well, it finally happened. After 165,000 miles, my 1994 540i's 5spd ZF automatic transmission has started to fail. I received the dreaded "TRANS PROG" message and the car settled into 3rd gear "safe mode." It hasn't given me the error since, and is using all five gears, but it is not performing like it should.

I took it to a highly regarded, independent BMW mechanic. He told me the Speed Sensor was shot and the torque converter is not good. His recommendation is to replace with a certified rebuilt transmission from ZF. He said it would come with a 2yr warranty and make the car run good as gold - which it ought to for a quote of $4,600: $4,000 (parts) + $600 (labor).

Car's in otherwise good shape. Recent maintenance includes new brake pads, tires, shocks, a/c compressor, engine speed sensor, fuel pump, LKM, electric fan clutch, exhaust hangers, and O2 sensors. It's had both the Tech I and Tech II services and got the Alusil engine at 50,000 miles.

Anyway - question to the forum: what would you guys recommend? Is the price quote reasonable? Would you try fixing the tranny yourself?

Only other idea is to sell "as-is." I'd part with it for less than the $4,600 quote.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by jeff540i; 01-15-2008 at 12:43 PM.

If it were me, and I'm sure it will be someday, I would replace it myself with a rebuild unit from Zf or BMW or other reputable german shop (NOT Aamaco). If the cost was way too - I would classify $4 as - I would consider a 5 spd. conversion.

There's always the possibility of getting a used unit from a low mileage car. That might be a better option. If it lasts another 165k, it's probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    If it were me, and I'm sure it will be someday, I would replace it myself with a rebuild unit from Zf or BMW or other reputable german shop (NOT Aamaco). If the cost was way too - I would classify $4 as - I would consider a 5 spd. conversion.

There's always the possibility of getting a used unit from a low mileage car. That might be a better option. If it lasts another 165k, it's probably worth it.
    Thanks for the input - hopefully you'll have many miles before your in this predicament ;-)

Any idea what a rebuild direct from ZF costs? I suspect the $4k includes a nice mark-up.

A guy from a junk yard quoted me $1,500 for a used one with 56,000 miles on it, but I wonder about the quality.

If I can get this thing running for under $3,000 I'll keep it forever. Manual conversion would be awesome - I've kicked myself numerous times for not buying the 6spd years ago.

Default The ZF Dude

Contact @ ZF:

Kirt Koeller
    Autosportsunlimited.com
    work (616) 748-5735
    other (800) 624-3876
    Zeeland MI

Phone is best way to contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff540i
    Thanks for the input - hopefully you'll have many miles before your in this predicament ;-)

Any idea what a rebuild direct from ZF costs? I suspect the $4k includes a nice mark-up.

A guy from a junk yard quoted me $1,500 for a used one with 56,000 miles on it, but I wonder about the quality.

If I can get this thing running for under $3,000 I'll keep it forever. Manual conversion would be awesome - I've kicked myself numerous times for not buying the 6spd years ago.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by jeff540i

I've heard they cost around $1500-2000 but that was a couple of years ago, however the info was from a knowledgeable BMW E34 enthusiast. Call your local BMW dealer and see what it would cost from them.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB
    Contact @ ZF:

Kirt Koeller
    Autosportsunlimited.com
    work (616) 748-5735
    other (800) 624-3876
    Zeeland MI

Phone is best way to contact.
    I would call ZF.
    Most shops mark up parts by 100%.
    Also be aware the supplier usually wants it professionally installed for any warranty claims.
    So if you buy direct and have it installed you should save a bundle.
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by bmwpower; 01-16-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    I've heard they cost around $1500-2000 but that was a couple of years ago, however the info was from a knowledgeable BMW E34 enthusiast. Call your local BMW dealer and see what it would cost from them.

Where are you located?
    I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. The specific error code is #105.

Thanks for the help guys. Autosports Unlimited is probably the closest option, and seems about the best deal going for a fresh rebuild with authentic ZF parts. Looks like it'll be $2,595 + shipping and installation. Probably north of $3,500 all-in, but it beats the $4,600 I was quoted before.
    Last edited by jeff540i; 01-16-2008 at 11:45 AM.

I will have this dilemma soon. I would love to do the work myself but don't have the space or the time! If it was me I would go for the 6 speed manual conversion, probably cost about the same (it would here in the UK). Failing that I would go for a trusted second hand unit if you can't get a recon one cheaper than $4k (sounds very high to me). How about a recon on your box (new seals / oil / filters etc) and a new torque converter or is it too far gone?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    I will have this dilemma soon. I would love to do the work myself but don't have the space or the time! If it was me I would go for the 6 speed manual conversion, probably cost about the same (it would here in the UK). Failing that I would go for a trusted second hand unit if you can't get a recon one cheaper than $4k (sounds very high to me). How about a recon on your box (new seals / oil / filters etc) and a new torque converter or is it too far gone?
    I don't know if it's gotten to that point. The mechanic I took it to is a past president of the local BMW club and highly regarded independent mechanic. Although the quote he gave me sounds kinda high. His invoice said:

"Customer states that the "Trans Prog" warning is on mid. Necessary to read out DME, EGS, and all addressable control units. Found "Speed Monitoring" fault code #105. This indicates that there is excessive slippage in transmission. It is necessary to replace the transmission. ZF 5HP30."

I always wanted the 6spd manual, but I have no idea how to do a six speed conversion or how the cost stacks up. How do you find a shop that does one? Wouldn't it be better and more economical to just buy a 540i sport?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast