GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: How about removing the SRS bulb?

Default How about removing the SRS bulb?

I am getting tired of watching the SRS bulb blinking for 5 minutes everytime I start my 535i. Can I just remove the bulb? I don't want to take it to the bimmer dealer so they can charge me $100 bucks to through a switch.

u can remove it like i did. be sure to put a piece of tape over the bulb thats stuck inside the board. you will seee it lighting up very dimly at night.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

You can buy a airbag reset tool from our member stilljester, or from his auction on Ebay, comes along with inspection and service reset.
    For less than 1 time resetting at the dealer
    http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQs...2eresetQ2etool

Note: The PEAKE airbag reset tool does not work on your car!
    Last edited by shogun; 05-10-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Why not fix your SRS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Why not fix your SRS?
    Of course I would fix it if that would be my car
    And then reset the light.
    And the reset tool only works if there is nothing wrong, read this from the offer:

This device is for resetting BMW models built from 1987 - 2003 with a 20 pins plug interface; WITHOUT can bus. The unit resets the following functions:
    Service Interval
    Oil Change Indicator
    Airbag / SRS Light

(Remember the SRS system on your BMW needs to be functioning properly in order to reset the SRS light. If the system detects a fault on any of the systems sensors a reset without replacement of those failed components is not possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Of course I would fix it if that would be my car
    And then reset the light.
    And the reset tool only works if there is nothing wrong, read this from the offer:

This device is for resetting BMW models built from 1987 - 2003 with a 20 pins plug interface; WITHOUT can bus. The unit resets the following functions:
    Service Interval
    Oil Change Indicator
    Airbag / SRS Light

(Remember the SRS system on your BMW needs to be functioning properly in order to reset the SRS light. If the system detects a fault on any of the systems sensors a reset without replacement of those failed components is not possible.)
    I take it the SRS wont fire while the lamp's like that...

The safety systems on these cars were designed with that in mind, just hope you dont have a head on collision in it...

Yep, if the SRS light stay on all the time, the system will not deploy airbags. Alot of time, it is the steering contact ring that needs to be replaced... not a hard job at all... pop the airbag off and replace the ring.

Is it possible to replace my 92 525I wheel with a 95 325IS wheel ?

I checked the other day and the only thing different was the horn connector; which - I guess - can be modified to make it work. I didn't want to try before asking other people that knows better.

BTW, the reason I want to do this is my SRS light that starts blinking for 5 min and then stays on all the time. May be I can fix the problem and have a nicer wheel to look at.

yeah or you could unplug the SRS brain, get the light off and not worry about erroneous deployment since it won't deploy at all.

Not my choice but it is one.

Find out what the SRS code indicates the fault is and fix it.
    Don't just throw parts at it.

Default $100 ? You've got to be kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe
    I am getting tired of watching the SRS bulb blinking for 5 minutes everytime I start my 535i. Can I just remove the bulb? I don't want to take it to the bimmer dealer so they can charge me $100 bucks to through a switch.

My indy does it for free. If I am getting the dust and crud out of my engine bay, and I happen to get the little orange SRS accelerometer plugs wet (I can feel the shudder of some on this board now), it trips the SRS light. They dry after a short time in the heat of the running engine. My indy checks to see that it is not a real or recurring code/problem, and then resets it. He says it is quick and easy.

By the way, how do they do it? Through the CPC under the hood or what?

Stealerships are such ripoffs!! They are generally very rude, snobby, and not too friendly to enthusist of their earlier models like the E34.

I avoid them like the plague, when possible.

JD