GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Coolant leak when parked on an incline

Default Coolant leak when parked on an incline

I have a 95 525i with about 160k miles. After getting the "coolant level" warning I checked the coolant and it was very low. I filled it up and the car was fine for a couple of weeks until I parked on an incline one day. I noticed a huge puddle when I got to my car and the "coolant level" warning came up again.

I assume it still leaks even when its not on an incline but it pretty much empties itself when parked on an incline. Does anybody know what the problem is? Also, how much would it cost to fix? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by edward240
    I have a 95 525i with about 160k miles. After getting the "coolant level" warning I checked the coolant and it was very low. I filled it up and the car was fine for a couple of weeks until I parked on an incline one day. I noticed a huge puddle when I got to my car and the "coolant level" warning came up again.

I assume it still leaks even when its not on an incline but it pretty much empties itself when parked on an incline. Does anybody know what the problem is? Also, how much would it cost to fix? Thanks in advance!
    Coolant probably leaks out just as much all the time but collects on the sump guard or something so you dont see the big puddle unless its on a hill. Clearly you need to find the leak before the engine overheats. If you need to use the car for a short journey, you could depressurise the system when you stop. That will at least stop it blowing half your coolant down the road while its parked

Agreed... either the radiator or the waterpump or the thermostat housing... they all leak at pretty much the same time. Fix one and other will leak until all three are done.