GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Please post pictures of drivers side wiper arm for late model E34

Default Please post pictures of drivers side wiper arm for late model E34

I need pictures of some of the later model drivers side windshield wiper arms.
    Where the hook connects to the blade.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

As far as I can tell, it looks just like the passenger's side, but if you still need a photo, I can probably accommodate you.

It just so happens that I've just taken some pics as I ordered some new flat blades on line and the drivers one didn't fit because the hoop curves away from the windscreen unlike the passenger side which curves towards the windscreen. Bear in mind that this is a right hand drive!

Drivers side:

and again:

Passenger Side:

UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

by the way its a 96 model
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Crap!
    So does anyone have a normal hooked wiper blade arm?
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

The driver's side hook going away from the window means you have speed-sensing variable angle wipers. All 535s have the PAD device and a different drivers wiper arm to go with it. I don't think it was even an option on the 'slower' 525.

Getting blades for vehicles with these systems mandates the BOSCH blades- in fact I think all the aftermarket ones are too tall (just one of the causes of bonnet-bash on the lower section of the passenger wiper arm) and in the case of non-PAD vehicles, the drivers arm too.

Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    The driver's side hook going away from the window means you have speed-sensing variable angle wipers. All 535s have the PAD device and a different drivers wiper arm to go with it. I don't think it was even an option on the 'slower' 525.

Getting blades for vehicles with these systems mandates the BOSCH blades- in fact I think all the aftermarket ones are too tall (just one of the causes of bonnet-bash on the lower section of the passenger wiper arm) and in the case of non-PAD vehicles, the drivers arm too.

Nick
    my ds wiper arm is as you described on my slow '89 , not sure about the fancy stuff you mentioned - drove around with it on upside down for a while after i bought it heh. i'm still fiddling with it now and again trying to get it straight - was going to ask for pics too to compare - was entertaining the idea of bending the arm around the other way to fit a standard wiper but i think that's just asking for trouble.

...help me i'm freeeezing...

Nope - my humble 520 even has the hook bending away from the screen. I thought all E34's had this odd quirk.

HTH,

Shaun M

Well my hook on teh pass side is longer and both point to the windshield....can someone explain that? And I have some lovely rubbing from the blade on the hood as well....

Quote Originally Posted by timandbim
    my ds wiper arm is as you described on my slow '89 , not sure about the fancy stuff you mentioned - drove around with it on upside down for a while after i bought it heh. i'm still fiddling with it now and again trying to get it straight - was going to ask for pics too to compare - was entertaining the idea of bending the arm around the other way to fit a standard wiper but i think that's just asking for trouble.
    My bad... the hook does not change- all have it, regardless of whether they have the pressure adjuster device (PAD) driver's side arm and assembly.

Banging the hood- fixes
    1. Fit the exact blades- Bosch blades lie lower than the aftermarket ones. Make sure the refills are a low profile type such as that which comes stock
    2. Adjust the hood locks inside teh front fenders
    3. add spacers to the hood lock carriers (not too many) so they allow the bonnet to sit higher.
    4. Bend the drivers side arm so it is more straight (Bend at the alloy base- below the hinge near the pivot. Do not do this on the car- a soft covering, a rubber mallet and some careful impacts will straighten it out.

Don't let this go unchecked, your wiper motor will wear out or break when you least need it to go wrong...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!