GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Spikes Spiders: Better than Tire Chains for Ice, Snow, Winter Driving

Default Spikes Spiders: Better than Tire Chains for Ice, Snow, Winter Driving

For those in need of chains etc, just read this:

Winter Traction!

For those of you determined to drive your 7er in any snow or ice conditions here is a link you may find useful:

www.spikes-spider.com

I live in a very steep mountain area of Colorado. The last 1/4 mile to my house has sections over 20% grade. Of course it snows here in this part of Colorado and turns to ice when it melts and re-freezes. Also, of course, I use dedicated snow tires and wheels.

These Spikes-Spider devices work. Today I drove over 3 miles on them (over 1000 vertical feet or 300 meters elevation change in 3 miles/5km), for the first time, on portions of wet pavement and they show little wear.

The real beauty of these devices is that they mount on the semi-permantly mounted locking wheel hub in about 30 seconds per side. These hubs can be intalled/removed at the begining and end of the snow season. Within about one wheel revolution, the chains and carbide-tipped traction bars are centered on the tire.

The downside is that the mounting hub for the stock e32 tire/wheel size projects outward from the lug bolts so they look like "Ben Hur" chariot wheels (they "stick out" a lot and look hideous, although they are so useful I'm getting use to it).

Speed is limited to 50 kph/30 mph.

I've used chains before on other vehicles and there is no comparison with the ease of installation of these devices.

Also, there is no contact with the e32 rear wheel arch even at 25+ mph, but make sure your LAD suspension ride height is set within spec. for proper clearance.

Mark
    1991 750i DC05875 Mfg. 1/91, Euro model from the Fatherland

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    For those in need of chains etc, just read this:

Winter Traction!

For those of you determined to drive your 7er in any snow or ice conditions here is a link you may find useful:

www.spikes-spider.com

I live in a very steep mountain area of Colorado. The last 1/4 mile to my house has sections over 20% grade. Of course it snows here in this part of Colorado and turns to ice when it melts and re-freezes. Also, of course, I use dedicated snow tires and wheels.

These Spikes-Spider devices work. Today I drove over 3 miles on them (over 1000 vertical feet or 300 meters elevation change in 3 miles/5km), for the first time, on portions of wet pavement and they show little wear.

The real beauty of these devices is that they mount on the semi-permantly mounted locking wheel hub in about 30 seconds per side. These hubs can be intalled/removed at the begining and end of the snow season. Within about one wheel revolution, the chains and carbide-tipped traction bars are centered on the tire.

The downside is that the mounting hub for the stock e32 tire/wheel size projects outward from the lug bolts so they look like "Ben Hur" chariot wheels (they "stick out" a lot and look hideous, although they are so useful I'm getting use to it).

Speed is limited to 50 kph/30 mph.

I've used chains before on other vehicles and there is no comparison with the ease of installation of these devices.

Also, there is no contact with the e32 rear wheel arch even at 25+ mph, but make sure your LAD suspension ride height is set within spec. for proper clearance.

Mark
    1991 750i DC05875 Mfg. 1/91, Euro model from the Fatherland

May work for one shot... but ugly and complicated solution. For us who live in winter conditions (snow, ice, mud...) at least 4-5 months/year the real best solution is true winter tire (not all seasons one's) and studded one. Our experience say that NOKIAN's are among the best: http://nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakka...?season=winter with thoses under the car you're always ready to face any bad winter conditions.

those are really cool, too bad about the speed limitations tho.

winter tires are great, but for rallying or ice racing traction you really need studs.