GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot the E34!

Default Spot the E34!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bT9iL6cxGQ8&feature=related

So what would you do if you encountered the same situation?

don't hit the brakes....that dumbass
    Last edited by Sam-Son; 12-20-2007 at 11:35 PM.
    -Mike

Once I was sliding down an icy hill with all four wheels locked into an intersection with fast cross traffic. Threw it into reverse and nailed it, got just enough traction to stop in time. Car survived as well.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Yeah, may sound but flooring it has got me out of some bad ice/snow situations too.

I can't leave my house in my e34 with 1" of light snow

The terrain here is so steep that the car just swings around and slides down the hill.

Brian, Clear your message box. I have the opera lights you were asking me about......denny

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    don't hit the brakes....that dumbass
    Think that just about sums it up. But if he had to hit the brakes, half a mile further back would have been a better place

Quote Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=bT9iL6cxGQ8&feature=related

So what would you do if you encountered the same situation?

- Don't touch the brake because the lost of control would be worse (easier to say that to do);
    - If you can, don't stop and stay around... go away as fast as possible otherwise your life and the one of your passengers are in danger;
    - Don't trust the traffic arrow of the security car... it's as shame to see what happened in that particular case (the 325 BMW was probably trapped by that false indication)
    - If some one like could spot risky locations on the highway to make such movie, driver like us should also learn about those and take care approaching one of those locations (ex: near frozen point an icy condition is more likely on overpass over a small river)

That guy wasn't losing control, he was drifting.

ok, maybe not ... on a serious note, I did that once when I had my 525 and came out sideways going 35mph from a sidestreet onto a busy street ... missed a Buick my mere inches.

people are always so unprepared for weather, if your tires can't handle low temps, stay home, you put everyone in danger.

about 3 years ago on dec 23rd we got a sudden ice/sleet /snow storm here in the desert that started about midday. yes, the place where they only put storm drains every mile or two, and have NO idea what to do with Ice except make snowcones. they never have ice on the roads here, ever. Day time temps are too high usually for anything to freeze.

on this afternoon though, all the overpasses suddenly started to ice over and the off and on ramps were too... so people abandoned their vehicles all over i10 and walked. people couldn't get OFF the interstate literally, you couldn't drive up the offramps... and if you found one that went downhill it was just an ice slide sending you careening thru the stop light 100 yards down the road.

I was going 20mph on surface streets and let off the gas on an overpass because the light ahead was red and the tires locked up.
    no brakes, just from taking my foot of the gas in an automatic... so I gave it some gas to get the wheels turning again, put it in neutral and hoped the light 100 yards away would change by the time I got there, because there was no way for me to stop. it did and I slid across the intersection overpass onto nonfrozen roads and got home safely... This was only 4-5 hours into the storm mind you.

The next morning, I called Bravo Hummer and asked if they had any h1's or h2s that needed alarms installed by the shop I worked at... because I wasn't driving without AWD/4WD and ABS all the way across town.
    Locked it in Low and locked the Diffs and drove with two wheels on the crown of the road where it wasn't frozen. As long as I could keep one wheel on the crown of the road it wouldn't slide.

Got to work after driving past Dozens of wrecked cars at the bottom of every hill for 20 miles and turned towards a parking spot infront of out building... and wound up sliding sideways into a spot 3 cars further down becasue there lot was a few degrees off level...

MUcho fun... and the ice was all gone by 10-11 am when the temps went into the 50's

But not as fun as the time we were going hunting and the 200 yard long overpass over a creek was iced over... Cops had it closed but didn't close the other (southbound) sides bridge, because they had closed the road miles up the highway.... the other side was flatter with almost no camber so we backed up about 1/2 a mile, crossed the median, and drove up the highway the wrong way at about 65-70. Aimed the 4x4 towards the center of the bridge from the far lane just as we went onto the bridge and slid all the way across it with just a couple of feet to spare between the gate and the low side as we slid down the slope and into the ditch... Went to 4 lo, drove out of the ditch, crossed back over the median and had some damn good deer hunting that day.

I hate ice, but it is nothing more than playing billiards with cars. the e34 doesn't go out in the snow the one day of the year we get any.... high performance summer tires just don't like slush at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast