GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: diplomacy with the nice mechanic

Default diplomacy with the nice mechanic

so my car is STILL in the shop for a headgasket job. it's all fairly understandable with it being the holiday season and them being sent the wrong parts, and then faulty parts and basically having to do the job twice. they screwed up putting the timing belt back on the first time, too.

i went in today expecting to pick it up but was told they're still waiting for a second set of intake gaskets because the last ones were no good. while i was there i snuck a peek and couldn't believe my eyes as there were two giant gouges on one of my BRAND NEW fenders - the typical keys in your pocket gouges people make leaning into the engine compartment. both my fenders were brand new and painted and installed earlier this month!

i'm 100% certain it happened since i brought it to the shop. i didn't say anything but hope to raise the issue after i get my car back- not sure what to expect though. being on good terms with the mechanic two blocks away is never a bad thing. i totally like these guys too, they've been trying and they've been honest about their mistakes which i appreciate- but they gouged my car! do any of you have any experience dealing with this kind of thing?

...help me i'm freeeezing...

Sounds to me that they are careless, nice perhaps too, but they are being paid to service your car and are responsible for it's care while in their posession.
    These instances almost never go well, especially when the shop is already frustrated with a job. My advice is get the mechanical bits sorted and then address the damage. Hopefully they will stand up and face the face the music. Good luck.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

As a automotive painter, I'd suggest you follow the advice to wait until the mechanical is done. As to whether you pay first or not, that's up to you. But it's likely, being a mechanic, he has a buddy in autobody who he may want to have fix it for him to avoid insurance, etc., blah blah.

P.S. Stop using such a crappy shop.

be nice.....for now
    Gone but not forgotten

It's the only thing I like about the stealer... they always use fender guard/covers... even if changing the oil.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/worksafe/fender_covers.htm
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    It's the only thing I like about the stealer... they always use fender guard/covers... even if changing the oil.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/worksafe/fender_covers.htm
    When I worked at the Porsche dealership back in the late '80's, Porsche made fender covers a mandatory purchase for all it's dealerships. The covers had plywood contained within to support the a/c compressor resting on the right rear fender during 911 repairs and along the full length for the 928 aluminum fenders.

I can't beleive the OP's shop doesn't at least drape a cloth fender cover over the fenders. The uniform cleaner/delivery company offered fender covers as part of their service for not much money.

I agree with the idea of not using these guys again as they don't bring the whole package to the deal.

Brian

if you like tim, I can give you the contact info for a pair of good mechanics on St Jacques that I have been going to for years.

Default i will be nice...

i agree with you guys and that was the plan all along- but there's no way in hell i'm letting him keep it another 'day' for a buddy to fix the scratches. i think he knows about it already because he started calling me 'monsieur' a few days ago and i think that's usually a bad sign.

i'm going to pay for it and mention it after i have my keys- maybe he'll spring for a tube of touch-up paint or something. i dunno- it seems like it's almost not worth saying anything but i just spent so much on the bodywork. i guess i'd just like to hear what he says, but what can i expect him to offer, realistically?

i don't even care anymore- i have to do other touch up work anyway and i just want my car back. it takes me 15 minutes to drive or ride my bike (not a current option) to work. today it took an hour and a half to get there and cost me $15 for a cab plus fare for the first bus this morning after my 'connecting bus' never showed up- a bj in the bus shelter would have been an extra $10- FH- poor girls it was 5am frigging -20'c with the wind and snow everywhere (15cm last night) and they're standing out there (bumming all my smokes) trying to turn $10!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    if you like tim, I can give you the contact info for a pair of good mechanics on St Jacques that I have been going to for years.
    thanks i would appreciate that- it would be good to know for future reference. i do know a few good mechanics in town and have had a couple of recommendations from other 'habitants' on this forum, too.

in this case i was there already and there was no way i could have got it anywhere else without overheating again or towing it - it's right around the corner. i won't go back there unless it's for a flat tire or something - i understand it's chaotic and they're still moving and it's the holiday season and stuff but it's getting ridiculous now.

Quote Originally Posted by timandbim
    i won't go back there unless it's for a flat tire or something
    In my view a good company isnt one that doesnt have problems. Everybody does. Its how you solve them. I'd suggest you give them the opportunity to put it right. If they dont exceed your expectations, dump them. And tell your friends why.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast