GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine burning alot of oil

Default engine burning alot of oil

yep... looks like one of those rings (or few) are starting to give up on me it seems....

right now, my main thing is a car that can just drive, i don't mind adding some oil here and here if I have to.

is there anything you guys can recc that can somewhat slow down the process, and help with the oil burning? some kind of good sealer...

Auto-rx comes to mind but that is an engine cleaner, not a compression restorer

what do you guys recc?

(i haven't checked the compression because I don't have a compression gauge, i need to get one)

cars got too many things going against it, suspension is shot (struts) and control arms needs bushings as well, the whole front end wobbles like . when you brake you hear a 'clunk' noise coming as well

so yeah, i just need this baby to drive me around for now... any recommendations for this oil burning problem to kinda cure it temporarily?

edit: lemme also add that I don't leak anything (I never see anything on the ground)

I did see some blueish smoke coming out today during idle, but it kind of went away now

I also have a very bad miss problem, I took it to redline bmw down here and the guy drove the car real quick and told me that my car is running on 3 cylinders... said to take out the cap on the rotor and see what it looks like... at 180K miles, they are pretty worn i'm sure

ahhhh.... little pay, lotsa bills
    Last edited by taseal; 12-17-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Thicker oil helps. It will slow oil consumption down at leased. All I can offer I'm afraid. Hope it works out.

I was already using 20W50, i'll just stick to that... there is this engine compression restorer that I used to use (comes in a silver can) I guess i'll put that in there too and see how much it helps

i wish changing rings didn't involve taking the piston out and re honing the cylinder wall lol

Is it not worn valves, guides and seals causing your problem? Last year I pulled my old cylinder head off as I was getting bad compression readings and poor running. I replaced the tired one with a freshly rebuilt head and the difference was enormous, and to this day it runs sweetly, starts great from cold, and blows no blue smoke or rubbish out of the tailpipes. While the head was off I checked the bores and was pleased to see that no wear had taken place over the previous three years.

HTH,

Shaun M

Just run gear oil. 75w90 or whatever.

Just kidding do not use gear oil.

You need to go buy that compression tester and start from scratch. From what you're stating, it could be one of a few things. Also, if its misssing, it may or may be related. If you've cracked the head (overheat) and are burning coolant (hows the coolant level over time?), this can cause a miss. However, running on three cylinders?? Thats a bit more than worn rings, leaky valves or a cracked head me thinks.

Start with the tester, do a good dry and wet comp test, pull the plugs and inspect (post pics), check the rest of your ignition system (coil, cap, rotor etc.), ask questions and and post the results.

Good luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

damn! too late about the gear oil!

jk

I am going to see if I can go to a friend now (hes got all my tools) and see if I can take the plugs out and see whats going on, i really need to get that compression tester too...

i have no overheat problems and car starts up right away.

its possible it can be cap and rotor (i need to look at it) but I was just thinking plugs because ya know, excessive oil burn, so the plugs are fouled

anyways, let me wake up friend up and see if we can take the plugs out so analyze

This plug is from the sixth cylinder (back of engine) all the rest were fine. I cleaned the plug and put it back in the car and ran it for a few minutes. It still ran like it did and once i took it out, it was fouled with oil again.

Were gonna get a compression gauge and check it out.

How am i gonna get a spoonful of oil in the cylinder? Im hoping its the valves and not the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal

How am i gonna get a spoonful of oil in the cylinder? Im hoping its the valves and not the rings.
    Exactly the way you imagine it Get it in there with a long (clean) funnel or equivalent. You'll figure it out. Make sure you give it a bit of time to spread out on the piston before you crank it. If its the bottom end, you'll see a significant increase in compression with the oil added (but you already knew that).

Good luck again,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Anti fouling spark plug

I used a spark plug extension on an old chevy to stop the plug from becoming oil fouled. It was a good temporary fix. I don't know if using that will cause any problem with the coil pack extension to the spark plug. They do make spark plugs that will provide spark in oil fouling conditions. Look into that and see if it could buy you some time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast