GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 4hp22 A/T Rear oil seal leak... Help!

Default 4hp22 A/T Rear oil seal leak... Help!

I changed my rear a/t oil seal two years ago, and had 9,000kms since then, but recently, i saw oil crawling down from that oil seal. oil is not dripping but just enough for you to see a "wet" portion... my tranny is a 4hp22 from a 535i. what could be the cause of this problem?

any help is appreciated..

The cause is likely a failed seal. Beyond the obvious, you may have a damaged sealing surface on the output flange that prevents the seal from keeping the fluid in. Also, the nut that holds the flange on must have thread sealer on it to prevent leaks. Did you use a sealer when you reinstalled the flange?

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    The cause is likely a failed seal. Beyond the obvious, you may have a damaged sealing surface on the output flange that prevents the seal from keeping the fluid in. Also, the nut that holds the flange on must have thread sealer on it to prevent leaks. Did you use a sealer when you reinstalled the flange?
    Might check if there's a Speedi-sleeve available for that application, this will give the seal a new surface to ride on (otherwise look for a new output flange). The threads and splines need thread sealer to prevent leaks through the bolt (loctite blue). Also check the seal bore for any damage that may have occured during removal, if there is any, apply a small amount of RTV sealant (Permatex grey) to that area of the new seal when you reinstall it.

Quote Originally Posted by icesoft
    Might check if there's a Speedi-sleeve available for that application, this will give the seal a new surface to ride on (otherwise look for a new output flange). The threads and splines need thread sealer to prevent leaks through the bolt (loctite blue). Also check the seal bore for any damage that may have occured during removal, if there is any, apply a small amount of RTV sealant (Permatex grey) to that area of the new seal when you reinstall it.
    i guess not. i didn't see any sealant used by my mechanic. hmmm... i'll keep that in mind if things get worse. besides not putting sealant, is there another cause for this? im sure the bolt was correctly tightened as i checked it myself... ill have another check this weekend..

thanks guys!!!

Maybe the idea with the speedy sleeve is good. I replaced the standard rear seal 6 years ago and had to replace it last year again together with the front shaft seal. Next time I will try the speedy sleever soluntion
    http://www.worldpath.net/~thompson/acb/seal/speedi.htm