GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :: Comments on the 'new' e39...

Default :: Comments on the 'new' e39...

Rather than fully write my own... why not just rebadge some words? They still hold true

First impressions:

The E39 is a fatter car, and feels like it. Steering is very good, but not as sharp as our E34s. Also, throttle response is better in our cars than the E39s (wire vs electronics?). This I was a little puzzled by, but no doubt, while the e34 feels like it's hardwired to your brain, the e39 seemed to take half a second to come around.

Driving hard:

The E39 540i is a monster. The torque is phenomenal. Flooring it in a straight line or a light sweeper is accompanied with a 'holy sh*t I can't believe how much_ass I'm hauling' kind of feeling.

Little things:

The e39 is 12 years newer, and has some stuff in it that I like better than the e34. Like the glass sunroof. Remote operation of windows. Heated steering wheel. Telescoping steering wheel. The Magnaflow exhaust and intake on the e34 sounds more badass than the e39 stock though. Lots of little stuff I'm discovering...

Final notes:

I think the e39 540i is just about the perfect car. It can do everything. If I had to own only one car for the rest of my life it would be that one BUT with a 6 speed. Plenty of gizmos to keep you from getting bored, and it's really two cars in one: grocery getter and fighter. That being said I am looking forward to getting home in the e39. I was worried that after a good bout in the e39 it would ruin the e34 for me and it just about did. The e34 still has the edge when I feel like going track and tearing it up. The other problem is when you have a car that is that fast, it is frustrating when you want to use it but can't. The e39 540i in sport mode gets to 100kph in a heartbeat, and to car-impounding 150kph in a hair more... Like a hot babe that leads you on all night and then sends you home to clean your own pipes. It so thoroughly belittles everyday driving situations that you feel as though you're not getting your money's worth unless you're doing 2x the speed limit, which you can't really do all that much anyway.

I need to drive the e34 this weekend. All that's in there are two boxes of baking soda. Big storm is coming... who needs traction control?

Stolen thoughts: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...6515535-1.html
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I think you might be paraphrasing a bit too much, 280 lbs of torque in a car that heavy isn't "phenonemal"...My last car had as much, at the same weight, and while it certainly wasn't slow, it wasn't M5 phenomenal, which is what is being described in the link you sent.

A humbling experience: Put your 280 torque up against a car with 400 or more on the highway and put the pedal to the floor from 100 km/h. If you have a fragile ego, never do this

But that said, I am glad that you like your car, that's the most important thing!

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    I think you might be paraphrasing a bit too much, 280 lbs of torque in a car that heavy isn't "phenonemal"...My last car had as much, at the same weight, and while it certainly wasn't slow, it wasn't M5 phenomenal, which is what is being described in the link you sent.

A humbling experience: Put your 280 torque up against a car with 400 or more on the highway and put the pedal to the floor from 100 km/h. If you have a fragile ego, never do this

But that said, I am glad that you like your car, that's the most important thing!
    Lol... man, in sport mode, this thing pulled a helluva lot more than the 535... BUT !! It also squatted like hell so that contributed to the pull feeling. The springs are going in today so we'll see.

I'm sure it's a great car to drive but I can't get past the looks of the e39 personally, it just went backwards in terms of style and road presence. Your 535i looks amazing, really aggressive and I've never saw an e39 that could compare. All personal taste though and everyone likes different things, but for me e34 wins hands down.

In terms of the drive I took a friends 330i (2003) out the other day for a spin and there was a world of difference between that and my 535i. It was a much 'comfier' ride with all kinds of luxuries like heated electric seats, sat nav, traction control and even a TV... I was actually watching Jeremy Kyle while forging down a dual carriageway! The ride in terms of comfort was in a word, awesome. It was an auto (steptronic) and it was clearly very very fast, but I must say it didn't have the same 'raw' powerful feeling as the e34. I watched as the needle on the speedo climbed effortlessly (in sport mode!), but it didn't feel like I was going that fast and the torque figures are very similar to those in my 535i which I found strange. I'd feel confident at the lights with it in the 535i lets put it that way, even with the 13 year age gap.

I know this doesn't transfer exactly but you can see where I'm going with this. I would love to find out what happens if you pit the e34 against the e39!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

A mate of mine had a 2002 530i Sport. Black with Terracotta leather, all boxes ticket... It was awesome!! Never gave it hell to see how it performed, but that quantum leap to a new, full-loaded interior was amazing.

I am a sucker for gadgets and well designed stuff... 5 positions on a simple E34 doorlock?? Awesome!! But all the Sat-Nav, courtesy/mood lighting, bluetooth connectivity etc of the E39 really, REALLY sat well with me!! I liked it a LOT!!

Now, if only I could get a late build E34 with all the naff gadgets of an E39... :boner:

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

I bought the e39 540 before the e34.

I definitely agree about all of your observations so in my quest I did find out several upgrades to increase the drive. First start with swaybars, rear then front, get the right wheels and tires. I replaced my terrible dunlops with Michelin PS2s. Then make sure all the suspension is good with the bushings and balljoints (just like the e34). The brakes can be better so stickier pads is a good idea. Good tune up with spark plugs, the MAF uses platinum as one of the components and wears out with general use. So, after years of use, there is a way to replace only the sensor part with a VW one. Good cheap replacement.

The power is adicting and the handling and braking can be great too. The e39 really shows how the development has evolved with the electronic technology and the aluminum suspension parts. The 324lb/ft of torque that came stock in my 540 doesn't hurt too. Engine software speeds up the TB a little and tranny software changes the shift points for sporty driving. Whats nice is these are unobtrusive upgrades.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!
    Brandon J

Suspension components are good. Put in H&R springs. All fluids done. Will do plugs soon. Just lowering it made a helluva difference. The squat and roll is now minimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Suspension components are good. Put in H&R springs. All fluids done. Will do plugs soon. Just lowering it made a helluva difference. The squat and roll is now minimized.
    What shocks did you use. You should only use H&Rs with some matched shocks. Any stock length shocks are too long for the H&Rs. You need Konis or Bilstein Sports. Why did you choose H&Rs? H&Rs are known to be firm and should not be used with stock non-sport shocks.

I really do not understand why people change the springs and not change the shocks. I mean, if someone is only looking into lowering the car for the look, then cut the springs. Tighter springs that are lowered will have less travel. Also the shock has to be tuned to work with the oscillations and frequency of the springs as well as work with the reduced amount of travel. Sport shocks are better tuned to match the spring oscillations. They do make a Sachs kit for the e39. Also, I would have gone with the swaybars first as even the stock non-sport suspension can work with this upgrade.

My e39 came with the sport package and I looked, drove, and installed different suspensions on e39s. With the handling, the e39 owners and I not only looked at off ramp turns, but quick turns with body-response to go back to normal or body-reaction. So if I have to make a quick left to go around an idiot in a car how well does the car react to the quick manuver and then how well if I have to follow with a quick right. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1993, and with large swaybars it handles amazingly, but I wouild not say it transfer weight left to right as quick as my e34. The suspension has to work together and just changing the springs can make the ride and handling worse in different situations. Squat and roll are only minor things in handling and ride. I would like to ask how it is when going over a bump, a drop such as a pot hole, uneven surfaces, return after a quick turn, braking and acceleration while going over bumps, uneven surface? Do the tires stay on the ground while going over irregularities?

Sorry not to take the thread over, but to realy ask questions and try to help you out before you spend money or spend more money because you have to do something over.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Lol... man, in sport mode, this thing pulled a helluva lot more than the 535... BUT !! It also squatted like hell so that contributed to the pull feeling. The springs are going in today so we'll see.
    That amazing feeling is more likely because of the suspension design. The rear subframe is more solidly attached to the e39 body. The rear subframes with models such as the e34 are not as solidly mounted; in order to help isolate vibrations the rear subframe was given more play and less direct attachment to the body. I get the same feeling in the e39 and it is not because my car is squatting, it's because the power transmitting to the rear is not getting lost in the subframe play, instead it is helping apply more direct power to the whole car. The e39 does help manage the vibrations coming into the cabin by the use of aluminum, a larger stiffer subframe which is like a box in design, and has 4 big subframe bushings instead of 2.
    Brandon J

H&R was chosen by Charlie @ Bimmersport... and if I can't trust him to be in the best interest I believe they are non-sport. I'll have to check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast