GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: /// M O T O R S P O R T ? ? ?

Default /// M O T O R S P O R T ? ? ?

I recently bought an '88 535i. Later I was informed that this was a "Motorsport" version due to the "M" badges on grill and on boot (trunk) but I know that people re-badge their BMW's to appear as though they are Motorsports.

Is there any easy way to confirm whether or not mine is a genuine Motorsport?
    (I used the VIN de-coder on this site, but there ws no reference to Motorsport there)

Thanks
    saintlucifa - New Zealand

Unregistered Guest

The only genuine "Motorsport" E34 5 series cars are the M5 which have the WBS VIN prefix. The Canadian only M540i and US only 540iSport are also considered to be Motorsport models but as far as I know do not carry the WBS prefix.

Some markets got a Sport version of the 525i and 535i, which had a M-tech body kit, suspension, LSD, sports seats, metric wheels etc. I don't think these can really be considered Motorsport versions as such.

If yours is a 535i then it most likely is a Sport, sport seats and the M5 body kit are the most obvious give away, does it have these??

post some pics if you can, always keen to see E34s, M5s or not

Default You may find this site helpful...

good luck..

http://www.m535i.org/
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I saw an E39 "M5" the other day. That single tailpipe gave it away. :P

Quote Originally Posted by rickm
    I saw an E39 "M5" the other day. That single tailpipe gave it away. :P
    Yeah, as opposed to those four ugly chrome tips used all for show, no go!

It always makes me wonder why someone would badge a fake ///M...don't they figure someone would ask them to pop the hood and count throttle bodies?

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Open the hood....six throttle bodies....yes..."M"
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

My wife looked at it and said "that's what you want". I said "that's what I have...look at the lack of tailpipes...there should be 4 tips". She said "ah, he's a poseur". The mrs called that one on the money. I wonder if it had an automatic or not.

Default If it looks anything like this, then "YES":

http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/...ay+closeup.jpg

Hope that helps!

Rgds,
    Tim G
    '91 535iM
    ex-'88 M5
    ex-'88 535is
    ex-'87 535is

Quote Originally Posted by saintlucifa
    I recently bought an '88 535i. Later I was informed that this was a "Motorsport" version due to the "M" badges on grill and on boot (trunk) but I know that people re-badge their BMW's to appear as though they are Motorsports.

Is there any easy way to confirm whether or not mine is a genuine Motorsport?
    (I used the VIN de-coder on this site, but there ws no reference to Motorsport there)

Thanks
    saintlucifa - New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    actually his would be an e34 since the rest of the world got the e34 in 1988. so this link wouldn't apply.

Thanks for all the replies and links. I tried to post on here last night, but it didn't seem to make it onto the site.

I also have a friend with an '89 535i Motorsport. He too believes that there are two versions of genuine "Motorsport" 535i. There are the likes of ours, which are basically 535i's with some Motorsport upgrades like susension, body kit, exhaust, interior diffences etc. I was told by a BMW technician that he believes that an obvious sign suggesting ones car is a motorsport is that the engine is black, and not aluminium coloured.
    Then there are M5's. The real deal spiel. I'm told they are both motorsports, but the M5 is the Master car, the pedigree template for lesser Motorsport versions fitted with high performance "M-Power" engine (3.6 & 3.8)

Another obvious difference is that one is badged ///M and the other ///M5.
    I sure do want to clear this up (LOL).

I most definately would never suggest my car is an M5. I only wish.
    ps: How to post pics of my car in here?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast