GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 Oil-pan replacement DIY step-by-step?

Default M50 Oil-pan replacement DIY step-by-step?

I can't find one if there is such. Used the search and found references to the work, the two hidden bolts, etc. but nothing specific to the task and needed steps; like does the oil pump have to be dropped or if the pan can come off with just jacking up the engine off the mounts with #5 at TDC, or something like that. Anyone been there, done that? Seen such a write-up? Or should I be the one to do it from scratch as I stumble through the process? The subject is my '95 525i, flawless until Its Lowered-ness met a cowardly curb hiding in plain sight. Not really leaking, just drip forming, so I want to just do it right and get back to having a dependable car I never have to worry about. Thanks.

I think the quickest and easiest way is to lift the engine from the top and lower the subframe. You'll have to pop the universal joint on the steering column off of the box to make this work.

Might want to check the oil pump sprocket nut while the pan is off. I wouldn't weld it, but loctite or one of the safety wire solutions might work...

Thanks. But that sounds like way too much trouble. It looks simpler than that. I'm guessing just a slight lift of the block from below with engine and tranny mounts loose, and slide the pan out after dropping the pump pickup. Never heard of an M50 with sprocket nut issues, but I'll check it out. V8s, yes. I-6, no. I'll check and if it's still tight at 130k, I'm leaving it alone!

Thanks for your suggestions!

I've done this job twice (not because I did it wrong the first time around). This would be a good time to replace the engine mounts as well. No need to loosen the tranny mounts. A bit tooth floss helps during installation.
    You have to drop the oil pickup tube into the pan. So make sure you get a new gasket before you start the job. The gasket has a key so make note of how it should be installed.
    Hoestly the job is not that bad.
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]