GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced odometer light bulb

Default Replaced odometer light bulb

Let me say-I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY FIRST and let the car set for 30 minutes or so per BIll R's guidance. However, I did not remove the steering wheel or air bag. With the steerng wheel extended as far out as possible I was baerly able to get at the odometer bulb by disconnecting the two left cables. I did not remove the entire cluster by wiggling it through the steering wheel opening. I also think you may damage the cluster or steering wheel cover

If there were any other bulbs to replace, I would have needed to take the steering wheel off. I will do so in the future as it is much easier and safer to get at all the bulbs. Bill R is correct. See the archive on his thoughts regarding cluster removal. I was just lucky this time.

BTW, No SRS light came on!
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default People will do ANYTHING to avoid removing airbag and

steering wheel. In the E30 Bentley book, they say to leave this to the dealer, or "qualified personnel," but in the E34 book they finally give a proceedure for it. I sweated blood thinking about doing it. But when I did finally go for it, my reaction was "Wow, what a big nothing."

Now I've done a Z3, too.- Even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Let me say-I DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY FIRST and let the car set for 30 minutes or so per BIll R's guidance. However, I did not remove the steering wheel or air bag. With the steerng wheel extended as far out as possible I was baerly able to get at the odometer bulb by disconnecting the two left cables. I did not remove the entire cluster by wiggling it through the steering wheel opening. I also think you may damage the cluster or steering wheel cover

If there were any other bulbs to replace, I would have needed to take the steering wheel off. I will do so in the future as it is much easier and safer to get at all the bulbs. Bill R is correct. See the archive on his thoughts regarding cluster removal. I was just lucky this time.

I will remove the airbag in the future! -
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Instrument cluster bulb replacement

I just changed all the instrument cluster light bulbs in my 530i. With the steering wheel extended all the way out, after disconnecting the 4 connectors, I had just enough room to manipulate the cluster to get to all the bulbs. I did not completely remove the cluster, but just rotated to various positions to get to the various lights. I removed and installed them with a socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell

Timely info.... half of my cluster (the left half) went dark yesterday out of nowhere. Isn't that several bulbs? Is it really likely that several bulbs went simultaineously, or should I check something else first?

Luckily my guesses of speed based on RPM (tach is still lit) were pretty accurate last night on the way home via rural highways!

theres 3 lights that light the whole cluster that are inside of the cluster, i've seen a bad solder joint take out a couple of them, try smacking the top of the dash before you take it apart

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Project
    Timely info.... half of my cluster (the left half) went dark yesterday out of nowhere. Isn't that several bulbs? Is it really likely that several bulbs went simultaineously, or should I check something else first?

Luckily my guesses of speed based on RPM (tach is still lit) were pretty accurate last night on the way home via rural highways!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Yeah, tried that to no avail so far. Looks like I'll be pulling the cluster soon... the headliner is out right now.

Default instrument cluster

I have a 89 535i with an airbag and no tilt, removed the instrument cluster without removing the steering wheel. I just removed the bottom panel, un-bolted the two bolts underneath the sterring wheel, helped lower it, and it came out very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000_eyez
    I have a 89 535i with an airbag and no tilt, removed the instrument cluster without removing the steering wheel. I just removed the bottom panel, un-bolted the two bolts underneath the sterring wheel, helped lower it, and it came out very easy.
    I have a 1992 535I(198K klm) and I also decided to change all the bulbs in the cluster. I managed to get it out without removing the steering wheel, after I extended it fully. However, forgot the battery was still connected and you guessed it, that damn SRS is flashing. I'll have to go to a dealer and pay the money to reset. Oh well good lesson for next time. ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, DO THE WORK TO COMPLETION, THEN RECONNECT THE BATTERY.

Default battery

I always disconnect the negative side battery when working on my car. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast