GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Adjustment to Center Steering Wheel

So the car steers neutral otherwise? I.E. it doesn't pull to the right or left when you let go of the wheel? It's just your spokes are cocked slightly when driving straight ahead. It's difficult for even the best alignment shops to get them spot on, it takes a little trial & error to get it right but it can be done if you're patient with it. If it steers left when you center the spokes, then you'll have to lengthen the left tie rod and shorten the right tie rod an equal amount. You'll notice the tie rod ends have left and right hand threads and are snugged by clamps at each end. Mark the tie rod end with respect to the tie rod. Loosen the clamps just enough to be able to turn them. Note which direction of twist of the tie rod will exend or shorten the overall length when twisted. Turn it only 1/8 to 1/4 turn at most and make an equal and opposite adjustment on the other tie rod. Try to rotate them by the exact amount or it will tweak the toe-in/toe-out. If you mess it up you'll have to take it to a shop but e34's are usually pretty cheap to align. Toe-in/toe-out is the only adjustment. Make them road test it to get the spokes centered. Resist the temptation to remove the steering wheel and rotated it 1 notch in the splines. That messes with the seating of the sector gear in the steering box.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Default Adjustment to Center Steering Wheel

When I center the steering wheel the car steers very slightly to the left. I believe there is a adjustment in the links under the car. Can someone clue me in?

TIA

Jim

Thanks gale, thats the info I was looking for.

Jim