GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M50 intake connectors- are there different types?

Default M50 intake connectors- are there different types?

I'm working on an M50 which has come from Japan.

Its a sweet motor... but it wasn't running at all right, so I took a look and foud that all the rubber boots and pipes underneath had perished and some joker has tried to make up for it with cable ties over cracked pipes. Clearly there were serious vacuum leaks- and a bad coil which I was hoping to fix.

Got the coil done, but the connector that connects the rubber ICV pipe to the intake.. won't fit. It seems BMA sent me the wrong one... can this be possible? it is very close to being right- but there is no way it is- the manifold orifice is the wrong depth.

FYI: It is on the diagram below as item 9

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/k/t/22.png

I have 11611738629, but it has a protruding piece that sticks too far inside the intake and is stopping it fitting in the hole completely- by about 10-12mm. I made it fit for the moment, but it is hardly ideal.

Does anyone know if this 'connector' piece comes in different types? It seems to be common across e36 and e34 M50s.

Is this is right or am I going nuts imagining that sadistic bastard Heinreich who designed the intake - and did it like this just because he has it in for us...? LOL Always fun times working on the Bimmerzz...
    Last edited by genphreak; 11-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    I'm working on an M50 which has come from Japan.

Its a sweet motor... but it wasn't running at all right, so I took a look and foud that all the rubber boots and pipes underneath had perished and some joker has tried to make up for it with cable ties over cracked pipes. Clearly there were serious vacuum leaks- and a bad coil which I was hoping to fix.

Got the coil done, but the ICV connector.. won't fit. It seems BMA sent me the wrong one... can this be possible? it seems very close to being right- but I suspect it isn't.

FYI: It is on the diagram below as item 9

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/k/t/22.png

Now they sent me 11611738629, but it has a protruding piece that sticks too far inside the intake and is stopping it fitting in the hole completely- by about 10-12mm. I made it fit for the moment, but it is hardly ideal.

Does anyone know if this 'connector' piece comes in different types? It seems to be common across e36 and e34 M50s.

Is this is right or am I going nuts imagining that sadistic bastard Heinreich who designed the intake - and did it like this just because he has it in for us...? LOL Always fun times working on the Bimmerzz...
    Part number you list is good for mine which was manuf in Feb 92. But from 09/90 to 02/92 a different part number is listed: 11611730265. Diagram looks the same and they may just have changed part numbers but it may be worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Part number you list is good for mine which was manuf in Feb 92. But from 09/90 to 02/92 a different part number is listed: 11611730265. Diagram looks the same and they may just have changed part numbers but it may be worth a look
    Thanks! Looks like that is only available with the manifold (according to RealOEM)... I'll ask BMA what they can do...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Thanks! Looks like that is only available with the manifold (according to RealOEM)... I'll ask BMA what they can do...
    Try this:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=40&hl=60

Got that by putting in my car details but keying in it was Dec 91 not Feb 92. At USD 3.52 its not going to break the bank though I honestly cant see a difference from the diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Try this:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=40&hl=60

Got that by putting in my car details but keying in it was Dec 91 not Feb 92. At USD 3.52 its not going to break the bank though I honestly cant see a difference from the diagrams
    Yes, it's the one hassle with realoem; its hard between production runs, dates and o/s market builds and the diagrams often are not quite right.

Thanks for clarifying that WhskeyC, I'll post back what BMA say. Thanks for the help!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Yes, it's the one hassle with realoem; its hard between production runs, dates and o/s market builds and the diagrams often are not quite right.

Thanks for clarifying that WhskeyC, I'll post back what BMA say. Thanks for the help!
    Does the ETK have that problem? I can check it up at home if you need. I've got ETK on my home PC.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    Does the ETK have that problem? I can check it up at home if you need. I've got ETK on my home PC.
    Thanks for the offer Rob. Farout I have one too.. just can't be arsed loading it on my Mac. Rob, you are making me feel lazy!

I just confirmed w BMA, looks like I asked for the worng part. They are sending me a ..265 instead.

Just have to wait a few days. Hmm

Rob- can you help re the 'Catalyst' error? if the engine is running like ****, the cats may be gone, but I'm thinking the Catalyst error might also be caused by bad combustion- not that it helps the cats any.

Looks like I might have to get new cats too..

BTW, didja see this?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

LOL WAOH at the v12, catalyst error? sounds like your jap import car's useless cat temp sensor is fooked its a JDM only requirement, the error comes up on the Check control. I think there is a thread somewhere here about disabling it through some relay under the seat.
    If the cat's stuffed it will make a rattly noise from under the car on partial throttle such as a gentle take off. if you jiggle the cats vigoursly they sound like they have marbles rolling in them if they're gone.
    most likely you'll have a loud exhaust too because the bits of the cat start taking out mufflers baffles on the way out.
    Last edited by rob101; 11-27-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Mate, that M70 has your name on it.... hmmm

Henry's cats sound OK, but some joker removed the heat shields. So one of those oxy sensors is a temp sensor eh? I was wondering- why 2... so there we go. Hmm disablement or dismemberment? The vanos M50 flies. At least I think it is Vanos. Probably not. Am pretty happy with it, except it seems to splutter on less than a tank so this w/e I'm doing the fuel filter- expect half of Bondi will be in it... how long would ti take for the sand in Bondi to make it to Japan (and back) LOL

Anyhow,
    I'm happy cos I got a Getrag 5-speed coming for Heidi. Should be good... going to Germany for Christmas too... I wonder what I can get there. Cheers, Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Mate, that M70 has your name on it.... hmmm

Henry's cats sound OK, but some joker removed the heat shields. So one of those oxy sensors is a temp sensor eh? I was wondering- why 2... so there we go. Hmm disablement or dismemberment? The vanos M50 flies. At least I think it is Vanos. Probably not. Am pretty happy with it, except it seems to splutter on less than a tank so this w/e I'm doing the fuel filter- expect half of Bondi will be in it... how long would ti take for the sand in Bondi to make it to Japan (and back) LOL

Anyhow,
    I'm happy cos I got a Getrag 5-speed coming for Heidi. Should be good... going to Germany for Christmas too... I wonder what I can get there. Cheers, Nick
    cool, yeah don't know about the m70 got to get a new paint job my roof paint's stuffed.
    This is the little ScheißeKopf, no. 25 on the diagram
    Last edited by rob101; 11-28-2007 at 01:47 PM.