GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Guys Possibly Repetitive Thermostat Problem

have you verified that the thermo stat is good?.Even though new it can be faulty.Place in a pan of water and heat.At some point(and if you have a thermometer you can verify that temperature)it will begin to open,but the main thing as the water heats up the thrmostat should open fully.Then at least you know the themostat will open.
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Sorry Guys Possibly Repetitive Thermostat Problem

Hey guy's I'm having trouble with my '87 325I with the m20. I have replaced my thermostat with a new unit, I have completely verified that the thermostat is in the housing with the gasket placed correctly, but no matter how many times I have used the methods for bleeding my M20 the thermostat never opens and the car continues to go up in temp. There appears to be no loss of coolant in the system, but and the engine runs fine when cranked. If this post is repetitive I apologize, but I've searched and used most of the methods I have found, including hooking up with my bmw through the reservoir tank. Do you guys have any idea why my thermostat does not like to open?

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Just placed the thermostat in a pan and it opens fullly. So my next guess would be that it is indeed locking due to air in the system. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    have you verified that the thermo stat is good?.Even though new it can be faulty.Place in a pan of water and heat.At some point(and if you have a thermometer you can verify that temperature)it will begin to open,but the main thing as the water heats up the thrmostat should open fully.Then at least you know the themostat will open.

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Quote Originally Posted by clhorton
    Just placed the thermostat in a pan and it opens fullly. So my next guess would be that it is indeed locking due to air in the system. Any other ideas?
    If it wasnt overheating before you replaced the stat, its either the stat, air or a blockage somewhere. You tested the stat so its odds on its air. Might help if you leave the rad cap loose and let it cool overnight

If there is no circulation the stat won't see any hot coolant. Verify the pump is doing it's job.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

This may sound like a dumb question, but where is the best place for me to look to verify that coolant is circulating?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    If there is no circulation the stat won't see any hot coolant. Verify the pump is doing it's job.

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Quote Originally Posted by clhorton
    This may sound like a dumb question, but where is the best place for me to look to verify that coolant is circulating?
    If your rad has a seperate expansion tank, you should see coolant coming out of the end of the small hose from the rad where it enters the tank. The simplest way to test if you have circulation is if the top hose gets hot. But be careful - if your cooling system is making steam instead of circulating coolant that hose may get VERY hot

OK, I went and bought a new water pump and am in the process of installing it (damn tensioner). Hopefully the new water pump will make a difference. The pump that came out had the metal splines also, so I guess I'll just wait and find out. With a little luck, I hope this works

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    If your rad has a seperate expansion tank, you should see coolant coming out of the end of the small hose from the rad where it enters the tank. The simplest way to test if you have circulation is if the top hose gets hot. But be careful - if your cooling system is making steam instead of circulating coolant that hose may get VERY hot

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

OK, I am waiting for the gasket to come in for the water pump later on today. If my old waterpump was metal, does that pretty much mean the water pump was not the problem in the first place. I am praying it is not the head gasket, but am still worried this water pump may not fix the problem. Is there any such problem with a water pump, besides having a plastic impeller, that could cause air in the system resulting in a non-functioning thermostat. The car runs great otherwise. Somebody reassure me or let me have it

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

I think it's an air blockage.

heres what i remember winfred mentioning on the M-20's

drill 1/8 hole in stat and place with hole up

raise front of the car in the air

add water from the top hose

make sure pisser hose isn't blocked

other than that the heat is supposed to be on too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast