GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final drive noise :-(

I have the 3.91 in my car and got 17.4 mpg today in 36 degree F temp at 70 mph. I was told the auto trans and M5 both had this ratio. I have gotten up to 21 mpg on the highway and hope to again once I figure out my AFM issue. I don't have to start in second and it goes pretty well on acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    If they replaced the pinion seal (which they must have if they replaced three seals), then yes, they had to properly load the pinion bearings.

Worth a trip back to the dealer?

Dave M
    Will have to find out a good used one for replacement. First choice will be to stick on the same differential type : "open one", the simpler type and probably the more reliable.

What's your experience with the reliability of a LSD type compare to the open type one ? An LSD with the same ratio (3.46) if that exist could be an improvement for me (4 months at least in the snow), but the LSD being more complex should i take the risk with a used LSD instead of the open one ?

Too bad you can't pursue the dealer as its quite the coincidence that it went bad after some work.

Anyhow, I don'y know the details, but the original LSD in mine has 330k. No issues, no noises, no nothin, so I'm not sure if one would consider the LSD a liability. I certainly wouldn't balk at another. I'd concern myself more with the state and ratio of the used one you find rather than the type (open/lsd).

Good luck with it,

Dave M
    What's the risk to come ?

My understanding is that it is real touchy to just replace the oil seal (the drive shaft one) on a differential, the nut that fix the flange to the final drive has to be replace "exactly" in the same position as before otherwise you change de diff. bearing preload and this have negative impact on the differential components (bearings, gears...).

At least when you reinstall the same differential you have a this nut position reference (as per the Bentley book), but you no longer have the "proper reference" when you swap the differential by an other one.

Is it to say that if i replace my differential by a used one the odds are 50 / 50 that the diff. bearing preload be affected and so that my diff noise problem to come back within a year or so ??

Is there a "good" procedure to make this diff. swap to avoid futur problem dues to improper installation ?

Default UPDATE : Good news

Too bad you can't pursue the dealer as its quite the coincidence that it went bad after some work.

Anyhow, I don'y know the details, but the original LSD in mine has 330k. No issues, no noises, no nothin, so I'm not sure if one would consider the LSD a liability. I certainly wouldn't balk at another. I'd concern myself more with the state and ratio of the used one you find rather than the type (open/lsd).

Good luck with it,

Dave M

Finally been lucky, found out a mecanic shop around who used to rebuild differential, they open mine, found out that the 2 pignonne bearing was shot, they replaced both as well as the 2 side bearings (not that bad but did't take chance), they put new seals, new oil and the most important thing they made the proper preloading. It's quiet now as a new one.

I think that i am better off with mine rebuild than with a used one without any warranty.

I just got my 1990 535i, 5-speed back from a local BMW specialty shop yesterday. I had the same noises as you describe and the BMW dealer diagnosed it as carrier bearings (which is what I thought). If you check with recyclers they'll tell you that only another 535i diff will fit, but that either a 735i or 750i diff will also fit but that the front flanges will need to be swapped. I purchased a posi, 3.64 diff from Bavarian Auto Recycling in Sacramento, CA. ( after some mis-communications all was made right), the original diff was a 3.46 gear. All is now great and the 535i runs sweet. Now all I have to do is keep some pesky woods rats from taking my German Shepherd's Alpo dry food and depositing it along with rat droppings under the hood of my car! Some of the food has found its way into the fresh air intake and jammed my blower motor so I'll have to take it apart and do a clean-out with my shop vac. They also chewed into the wiring harness and cut the tach wire, the service indicator wire, the brake fluid resevoir wire and the fuel mileage wire, and all in one night! My local Vet gave me some incredibly powerful poison to leave under the hood. He told me that I'll probably find the dead carcasses under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Old F4 Pilot
    I just got my 1990 535i, 5-speed back from a local BMW specialty shop yesterday. I had the same noises as you describe and the BMW dealer diagnosed it as carrier bearings (which is what I thought). If you check with recyclers they'll tell you that only another 535i diff will fit, but that either a 735i or 750i diff will also fit but that the front flanges will need to be swapped. I purchased a posi, 3.64 diff from Bavarian Auto Recycling in Sacramento, CA. ( after some mis-communications all was made right), the original diff was a 3.46 gear. All is now great and the 535i runs sweet. Now all I have to do is keep some pesky woods rats from taking my German Shepherd's Alpo dry food and depositing it along with rat droppings under the hood of my car! Some of the food has found its way into the fresh air intake and jammed my blower motor so I'll have to take it apart and do a clean-out with my shop vac. They also chewed into the wiring harness and cut the tach wire, the service indicator wire, the brake fluid resevoir wire and the fuel mileage wire, and all in one night! My local Vet gave me some incredibly powerful poison to leave under the hood. He told me that I'll probably find the dead carcasses under the hood.
    I was aware of that swapping possibility with a used differential but did'nt found a used 3.46 at an affordable price (was cheaper to rebuild) and i did'nt want a higher ratio. Does this new ratio bother you ? What's your driving experience with it ?

Good luck with your rat hunting sport If my car stay more than a week unused in the drive way one out of two time i find out squarrel eating remains under the hood on the right fender near the high voltage coil, could'nt catch it yet, hope it will keep away of the cabling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12