GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New Member - Please Help!

Hi there and welcome!

Is the car cranking when you turn the key or not? Is anything happening? If its not doing anything i suppose that would suggest the immobiliser... Does it have the OBC, because there's a code setting which may have been set (if you don't put the code in it doesn't start!)?

I'm no expert on this but the info may help others to diagnose the problem?!

HTH...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Norrs
    Thanks for that Morgenster!

Battery & Alternator ok though.
    Have a search for main and fuel pump relay issues...

Could it be something as silly as a worn out ignition switch (electrical part)?

Brian

Default New Member - Please Help! 530i won't start

Hi Folks!

I'm based in central scotland and this is a UK car.

Lucky to find this site - amazed at the volume of activity in here, so I hope someone can help with my problem!

I have just aquired a 1993 E34 530i Touring with the V8 (you can tell I know a lot about BMW's). It's a non-runner, so here's the story:-

Before I got it, the car did run. Problems started apparently when the car required a jump start then stopped running. The only clues I have are the car did start sometimes when you locked and unlocked the car quickly (does this suggest there's something wrong with the Immobilister?) The car did run for about an hour a one point but would not re-start after!

There is currently no spark or no fuel.

I'm not too bad mechanically, but I'm not familiar with these cars. Is there somewhere I can download / obtain a diagnostic programme from the Internet? I'm about 70 miles from the nearest dealer so I don't particularly want the towing bill!

Any suggestions / assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Norrs; 11-23-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Before going into immobilisers and stuff like that: How's the battery and the alternator?
    If you have a decent multimeter you can check up on its static and running voltages to see what's what there.
    If the battery's dead and you switch it for a charged one see if the car keeps running, if it dies again, it's probably alternator. and from there you can pick up some of the lengthy threads on this board. Just try the search on those issues and you'll find plenty of solutions.

PS: welcome to the fold.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster
    Before going into immobilisers and stuff like that: How's the battery and the alternator?
    If you have a decent multimeter you can check up on its static and running voltages to see what's what there.
    If the battery's dead and you switch it for a charged one see if the car keeps running, if it dies again, it's probably alternator. and from there you can pick up some of the lengthy threads on this board. Just try the search on those issues and you'll find plenty of solutions.

PS: welcome to the fold.

I would say something is worn out... either the starter selenoid or the ignition switch.

You can eliminate the immobilizer by disconnecting one of the two bigger harness plug. The car should start without it. I know this because when I couldn't disarm my alarm, I disconnected one wiring harness and was able to get the car started and drove home.
    Last edited by Tiger; 11-25-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norrs

Not clear if it engine is not turning over or its not starting. Either way (and I dont wish to insult your intelligence) if it doesnt run how do you know the alternator is ok? Possible cause of problem is the alternator was fried by someone connecting jump leads wrong way round. If your battery is under the back seat, check the micro switch that sits on top of the battery. If its not closed the motor wont turn but the hazards may come on. HTH

Hi, and welcome in our midst.

You'll get lots of info on bmwe34.net

I would think of the fusible link as a possible problem.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...sible_link.htm