GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: HELP! 4.0 Swap - What Axles To Use?!

Default HELP! 4.0 Swap - What Axles To Use?!

I'm NEARLY done w/ my 4.0 V8 swap into my 530iT --- which rear axles do I need to use with the 540's big 2.93 rear end?

I thought I was supposed to use the 540's axles --- BUT, the wheel end of the axles (versus the diff end of the axles) does NOT appear to fit inside the housing the holds the wheel bearing --- does that make sense?!

Do I have to undo the locking collars and take the whole setup apart, etc? Please say "NO!"......

I'm on a tight schedule now - anyone have any info?

Thanks very much!
    -AJ

-Two E30s, an E34 and an E46-

Sorry I can't help you on this one, I used the factory 530i rear end.
    Zac

Yup, using the 530 rear end makes it easier. I have my 525i rear end with my S38 swap. I used the front M5 driveshaft, the rear 525i driveshaft, then it was shortened and balanced. I like having a greater number of differentials available.

THe rear control arms are the same on both the 530 and 540. Pehaps take a pic so it is much easier for us to see. Oh, what rear subframe are you using?
    Brandon J

I have mentioned before about rear subframes when using larger case diffs. Hmmm, ok since you have done a great job so far, lets see if we can help. Just by doing a simple search on realoem the drive flange is different on the 540. Obviously the rear axles are different too and that means the whole things is different. So, it may not mate up to the new drive flange on the wheel bearing. I did not need to do this for my swap, but it is something to check. If you have the rear drive flange (wheel bearing) from the 540, then try using that. If you, don't, you might need more time, unfortunately. Again, in research, using the front 540 part of the driveshaft, the rear of the 530 would work well...customize and balance. As part of planning a project, this would give you lots of choices for differentials and gearing out there....well affordable.

Just on a limb to try to help you out, the axle isn't backwards is it? And pics, is the axle aligned corectly from the bearing to the diff flange?

I can understand the frustrations with a project. Just don't go with a quick fix that can make things worse. You did a good job so far so lets make sure it gets completed well also. Good Luck.
    Brandon J

Have you asked Drew Z what he did on his 4.0 6 speed swap yet?
    apzjd@aol.com and he's in Joisey.

Also, some have gone with a quaife diff installation from Koala Motorsports, and I'm sure they make shafts for you for the price you're paying.

When is the tow?

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Captain
    Ok - Thanks for the help - we did mark the axles to make sure we had them the right way around.

Here's the part we think we need to swap --- BMW Part # 33 41 1 131 063 --- it's #5 on the diagram. Stry, RealOEM shows that Part # being the SAME on both the 530iT and the 540. I don't know why - but we are convinced that it is a different part on the two cars. So, we're going to try to swap them over and hope that will be the fix, using the 540 axles and the 540's drive flange on the wheel bearing.

Think that will work??
    I hope it works!!! Don't forget to take pics and to let us know what you find. Use locktite too. The part numbers are different in realoemm for the drive flange of the wheel bearing. 063 for the 540, 299 for the 530. The wheel bearing should be the same.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    Yup, using the 530 rear end makes it easier. I have my 525i rear end with my S38 swap. I used the front M5 driveshaft, the rear 525i driveshaft, then it was shortened and balanced. I like having a greater number of differentials available.

THe rear control arms are the same on both the 530 and 540. Pehaps take a pic so it is much easier for us to see. Oh, what rear subframe are you using?
    I have a '94 530iT w/ an 5-speed automatic + 3.23 open diff. I am swapping the drivetrain out of a '95 540i 6-speed manual + 2.93 LSD into the Wagon.

Currently, the 4.0 + 6spd is nestled happily in the engine bay. The driveshaft and big 2.93 LSD are bolted up too.

All that is left are the rear axles, and buttoning up the lines etc in the engine bay.

I have not changed anything in the Wagon in terms of subframes etc --- everything is standard 530iT stuff.

Do I need to swap the 530iT rear subframe out w/ the 540's rear subframe?!! Please God, no

Being that I am using the 6spd, I need to use the 540's driveshaft, which necessitates that I use the 540's diff. I assumed that means I need to use the 540's axles... ?
    -AJ

I have mentioned before about rear subframes when using larger case diffs. Hmmm, ok since you have done a great job so far, lets see if we can help. Just by doing a simple search on realoem the drive flange is different on the 540. Obviously the rear axles are different too and that means the whole things is different. So, it may not mate up to the new drive flange on the wheel bearing. I did not need to do this for my swap, but it is something to check. If you have the rear drive flange (wheel bearing) from the 540, then try using that. If you, don't, you might need more time, unfortunately. Again, in research, using the front 540 part of the driveshaft, the rear of the 530 would work well...customize and balance. As part of planning a project, this would give you lots of choices for differentials and gearing out there....well affordable.

Just on a limb to try to help you out, the axle isn't backwards is it? And pics, is the axle aligned corectly from the bearing to the diff flange?
    Ok - Thanks for the help - we did mark the axles to make sure we had them the right way around.

Here's the part we think we need to swap --- BMW Part # 33 41 1 131 063 --- it's #5 on the diagram. Stry, RealOEM shows that Part # being the SAME on both the 530iT and the 540. I don't know why - but we are convinced that it is a different part on the two cars. So, we're going to try to swap them over and hope that will be the fix, using the 540 axles and the 540's drive flange on the wheel bearing.

Think that will work??
    -AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer Captain
    Yeah, me too.

If the wheel bearings are the same, then the drive flange should be able to go right in... ?

33411131063 (Drive Flange) is the Part # we think we need to change. However, if you put that part # in at RealOEM, it comes up as a valid part # for E34 530 Touring's AND E34 540's, so there may be no need to change that part... ?

The opposite part, Part # 33411134883 (Side Shaft), is also a valid part for both cars, according to RealOEM.

The rear trailing arms, Part # 33321133393 (Trailing Arm), are the same for a 530iT and a 540, according to RealOEM.

Only the actual drive axles themselves are different Part #'s --- 33211226720 for the 530iT, and 33201229245 for the 540.

So why should we have to go through swapping drive flanges when it appears that the only difference is in the drive axles??
    Don't know. Then do a visual and see if there is a difference. The TIS can only tell us so much. Also, instead of inputting the part number, go to the individual model first then see the part numbers.

I'm not there so the words alone is hard to actually see what you are referencing and the differnces. I think you know enough to figure it out and don't think there are others who on the web that have been in the situation. This logistic and fitment is part of the research one does before hand. Pics?

Hope it works out.
    Brandon J

I hope it works!!! Don't forget to take pics and to let us know what you find. Use locktite too. The part numbers are different in realoemm for the drive flange of the wheel bearing. 063 for the 540, 299 for the 530. The wheel bearing should be the same.
    Yeah, me too.

If the wheel bearings are the same, then the drive flange should be able to go right in... ?

33411131063 (Drive Flange) is the Part # we think we need to change. However, if you put that part # in at RealOEM, it comes up as a valid part # for E34 530 Touring's AND E34 540's, so there may be no need to change that part... ?

The opposite part, Part # 33411134883 (Side Shaft), is also a valid part for both cars, according to RealOEM.

The rear trailing arms, Part # 33321133393 (Trailing Arm), are the same for a 530iT and a 540, according to RealOEM.

Only the actual drive axles themselves are different Part #'s --- 33211226720 for the 530iT, and 33201229245 for the 540.

So why should we have to go through swapping drive flanges when it appears that the only difference is in the drive axles??
    -AJ