GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :: Removing... dash ventilation motor?

Default :: Removing... dash ventilation motor?

So I get a squealing in the center dash. I know it's not tied to the climate control unit as it is a consistent sound no matter if the blower is on max or off... or even if the engine is off.

It's probably the ventilation motor that is seized? How would I get at it? Just unscrew the large center vent cover on the top?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

One of our Brit friends just posted about this. Barney paul I think. He did a little write up on it.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

it's annoying to remove. when you pop the hood, you must remove the wipers, and the plastics beneath them. then remove the rubber seal which goes around the hood space. then you have 2 screws which make the firewall between the vent and the motor. then some more screws and plastics to pull out. when you removed all that, you have some plastic piece you must unlock and then you release the ventilator cover. it's hard plastic, just pull it out. then you have the motor and the ventilators (2 round ones). you have one metal piece which holds it, you must unlock it and then unplug the motor, and presto, you've got it out.

I think Qube is talking about the small fan that sits inside the HVAC dash control unit and supplies interior air to the cabin temperature sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    I think Qube is talking about the small fan that sits inside the HVAC dash control unit and supplies interior air to the cabin temperature sensor.
    Yes, that would sound more like it. It's definitely not the blower. I replaced that sucker too before.

try blasting some wd 40 into the little grill???Might shut the little &^%$ for a bit?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    So I get a squealing in the center dash. I know it's not tied to the climate control unit as it is a consistent sound no matter if the blower is on max or off... or even if the engine is off.

It's probably the ventilation motor that is seized? How would I get at it? Just unscrew the large center vent cover on the top?

According to the Bently manual electrical diag. when the ignition s.w is not in either the start or run position the inside temp. sensor blower should not run. So if the engine is of and you still hear that source of noise should be something else. In my 535 since a long time i also have a sort of squealing like your's when ignition key is turn to accessories, it's coming from the right part of the dash the source come from the DME module (probably some sort of ventilation unit within the DME box). That' my thought.

Are you sure its not the ECU Box fan making noise? That, I suspect, may run whenever the ignition is on.

Thanks for the lengthy reply, Claude!

I did a more detailed check, and there is no squealing with it in 1. Only when I go to 2 or ignition on does it squeal. Of course, it's not lasting... just an initial 1-2 minutes usually, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    One of our Brit friends just posted about this. Barney paul I think. He did a little write up on it.
    Shows how much attention people pay to my write ups :P

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast