GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what a difference new cats make

Default what a difference new cats make

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/440862
    of course he also changed the piston rings on his 750, but now Pat finally passed the CA smog test.

What wonders me, is that there are apparently no companies in USA which sell the cat metal cores only. In Germany there are companies which repair cats for a fraction of the price of a new one (complete cat with housing), they cut off the cat housing, remove the old cat insert, weld in a new one, weld the housing, done. Usually the repaired cat is returned within 24 hours.

cat core inserts
    http://www.uni-kat.de/katalog.htm

AFAIK my interpretation of the statute is that it is illegal to tamper with the cats... they either must be replaced as a whole assembly or left alone, repair is a foreign concept since it could lead to "tampering".

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    AFAIK my interpretation of the statute is that it is illegal to tamper with the cats... they either must be replaced as a whole assembly or left alone, repair is a foreign concept since it could lead to "tampering".
    Plus, it would make way too much sense...

BTW - who among us hasn't at one time or another opened up their cat from the top and removed the guts?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

sorta on topic anybody know where I can get some high flow cats?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Plus, it would make way too much sense...

BTW - who among us hasn't at one time or another opened up their cat from the top and removed the guts?

ME!!! ME!!!

I have 3 foot and 4 foot long Masonry bits... Just drill em out and then take it for a hard drive sans exhaust... the cat will crumble into pieces and be blown out...

*this is only what I have been told - I would never have any first hand knowledge of such an illegal and environmentally unfriendly practice, as cars are an easier target for the enviro-nazis than large industrial polluters. *

ME!!! ME!!!

I have 3 foot and 4 foot long Masonry bits... Just drill em out and then take it for a hard drive sans exhaust... the cat will crumble into pieces and be blown out...

*this is only what I have been told - I would never have any first hand knowledge of such an illegal and environmentally unfriendly practice, as cars are an easier target for the enviro-nazis than large industrial polluters. *
    To hell with that More info please I know you would never do such a thing but I would. please tell me more
    -Mike

If I were to do such a thing, I'd take my 4 foot masonry bit, drop the catback section and drill thru both layers of the cat element many many times from the rear opening. Like if I were going to break chunks out of it. takes little effort, just a fair bit o time.
    It also adds a nice sporty growl to the stock exhaust.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 11-16-2007 at 12:30 AM.

If I were to do such a thing, I'd take my 4 foot masonry bit, drop the catback section and drill thru both layers of the cat element many many times from the rear opening. Like if I were going to break chunks out of it. takes little effort, just a fair bit o time.
    It also adds a nice sporty growl to the stock exhaust.
    4 foot? is the cat that long?
    -Mike

you could probably get away with a 3 foot.

thanks for the info...I mean I know you don't really know any of this stuff 'cause you wouldn't delve into anything in the shady side of automotive modifications
    -Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast