GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sway Bar again! Will an M5 sway bar fit a 540i?

Default Sway Bar again! Will an M5 sway bar fit a 540i?

HI All

I've done a search but can't find what I need. What I want to know is will M5 sway bars fit a 540i touring? Are the fittings the same for all sway bars and for the saloon / touring? I guess they will be at the front.

Is it worth swapping my standard ones for second hand M5 ones? If I install only the front will that make a difference? Do they deteriorate or loose their shape / rigidity over time? Is the M5 one going to provide better handling?

I can't see how one metal bar can make such a difference to the handling to a slightly bigger / smaller metal bar?!!!!!! So I guess I'm not best placed to answer these questions!

Are thicker sway bars more rigid and there for provide less wheel camber when turning or am I talking utter bollox?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    HI All

I've done a search but can't find what I need. What I want to know is will M5 sway bars fit a 540i touring? Are the fittings the same for all sway bars and for the saloon / touring? I guess they will be at the front.

Is it worth swapping my standard ones for second hand M5 ones? If I install only the front will that make a difference? Do they deteriorate or loose their shape / rigidity over time? Is the M5 one going to provide better handling?

I can't see how one metal bar can make such a difference to the handling to a slightly bigger / smaller metal bar?!!!!!! So I guess I'm not best placed to answer these questions!

Are thicker sway bars more rigid and there for provide less wheel camber when turning or am I talking utter bollox?
    The bars will never lose their shape you will just wear out your bushings. I just did a big write up on what I plan to do. I've come to the decision that i'm getting RD bars to go on my car instead of M5. You likely will not notice too much of a difference from yours to an M5 bar.

Its more then just bigger or smaller bars. It has a lot to do with the shape of the bar. They are essentially a big spring that push on the wheels to stop them from moving inwards "chamber change" when cornering.

In general thicker bars are stiffer but it depends a lot on the material the bars are made up of. Are they hollow or solid bar etc.
    I had to do a lot of research and contacted John at Racing Dynamic USA to figure out what I should do.

My 540i touring was born with same size sway bars as the m5.

Thanks for the info guys.

My 540i touring was born with same size sway bars as the m5.
    So I guess mine was as well, this is what I suspected.

I suppose the conclusion then is that its not really worth it as its not really an upgrade?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Real oem says they are the same size. There was a 20mm sway bar for the rear. Might be overkill.

Here is a link to how diameter of the bar affects it's stiffness.
    http://www.kormanautoworks.com/tantiswa.htm
    Basically a 1mm increase will provide you with a 24% stiffer bar.
    A 2mm increase will provide a 52% stiffer bar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------