GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AH! what broke?!

Default AH! what broke?!

Well, my car is now sitting in a Crown Plaza parking lot, and I need to move it asap.

I was driving last night, and from a stop, I punched it and took a left turn (the light turned green).

As I did this, something snapped (I assume), and everytime I press my foot on the accelerator the car shakes rather violently. It almost feels like its coming from the rear.

Well, I thought I'd try and make it home, but the second I got up to 40-50mph, it shook BAD and made an awful noise. The gear shifter in the car was shaking badly also.

What did I brake? what should I do, have it towed home? can I fix this myself?

Any and ALL help appreciated asap.

Thanks

-brown

Flex disc? The Rubber Guibo between the tranny output and the drive shaft?

$79.00 at bavarina Auto but should be widely available. I believe I've read the exhaust needs to be disconnected soemwhere maybe at the ex.manifolds to allow the driveshaft to be dropped enough to R & R the Part in question so doing it In Situ is probably a no go. Tow it to the nearest garage with a lift. That's my guess.
    Last edited by Jehu; 11-11-2007 at 12:48 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Oooh... maybe. I just looked it up, and it sounds similar to what I'm going through.

Here's the article I just read. Let me know what you think, and thanks.

Yah the 540 may be doable with jack stands so if you can get some and bring them to the Lot it may be doable without towing it anywhere. Good luck.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I think I'll have it towed home... I'm sure I can find a friend with a trailer large enough, and I can still drive it, so I don't need a wench or anything.

Anything else it may be that you can think of, though? when it gets here, I guess I can get under there and have a look...

It's an auto tranny, by the way.

flex disc is what I'm thinking I had the same thing happen floored it making a u turn then all of a sudden SNAP!!! it was the flex disc as I later found out. If you get under it and take a look it'll be pretty obvious the flex disc is in plain sight. What really makes me wonder why these things go so easily I alway see videos of M3's or M5's drifting around and doing burnouts why don't they have the same problem?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    flex disc is what I'm thinking I had the same thing happen floored it making a u turn then all of a sudden SNAP!!! it was the flex disc as I later found out. If you get under it and take a look it'll be pretty obvious the flex disc is in plain sight. What really makes me wonder why these things go so easily I alway see videos of M3's or M5's drifting around and doing burnouts why don't they have the same problem?
    i bet they do break things....and they prolly arent daily drivers and ten years plus and 180 000 miles old
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    i bet they do break things....and they prolly arent daily drivers and ten years plus and 180 000 miles old
    true. actually come to think of it I haven't had any problems with the flex disc despite some rather....agressive driving
    Do the M cars use the same flex discs?
    -Mike

Sorry to dig up this topic, but I'm just now getting around to fixing the e34.

I was just reading a few other topics here about the "guibo", and noticed people stating that some auto tranny e34's don't have the flex disc (guibo), just the manual transmissions.

I'm in a 94 540i with auto tranny... do I even have a guibo?? I'll be taking a look under there tomorrow to see what I can come up with...

-brown

Default Yes, you should have one.

When you get under the car you can't miss it. It is right between the transmission and the drive shaft.

This is what it looks like in good condition:

If your's is bad it should look quite different and likely frayed and chewed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast