GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: mystery misfire

Default mystery misfire

drove home from work, all was fine, sat down had a cup of tea and about half an hour later went out to pick up the wife and kids, low and behold its misfiring, at first it was doing this below 2000 rpm anything above it and it was fine. Yesterday it was doing it at idle, so i started to check everything over, no broken rocker arms, plugs are all fine as are the plug leads checked the resistance on every one, all fine,distributor cap and rotor arm all fine as well, when i pulled the plugs they were all wet with fuel, i started it up and began to pull off the plug leads and replace them to find out which cylinders aren't firing, no2 and no6 are the culprits as far as i can tell, theres no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil, the only other thing i can do is a compression test, which i can't do until tomorrow as i don't have the right plug adapter yet, i have it narrowed down to either the head gasket or a burnt valve, am i missing anything?
    thanks in advance
    rob

Is this an inconsistent problem? I.e., does it come and go? If so, it's more likely an ignition or fuel delivery problem (e.g, ECU problem, leaky injector(s), poor electrical connection, etc.) than a mechanical problem. I wouldn't entirely eliminate a head gasket or burnt valve as a possibility, but these are more likely to be consistent and exhibit other symptoms at the same time such as a pressurised cooling system, mixing coolant and oil, or chuffing or ticking noise if a burnt valve.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

it did it for the first time on friday, after i got back from work, its got worse from then on, before friday it was running perfect, i'm just going through some fuel injection and electronic ignition manuals now to give me some more ideas as what to look for