GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M30 Coolant Change (It's cursing time again...)

Default M30 Coolant Change (It's cursing time again...)

Well, did my bi-annual drain, flush, and fill this afternoon. Why is the M30 so damned hard to successfully bleed (or is it just me)? Did coolant in 3 vehicles, the water system in the RV, and my pressure washer pump, and out of all of them the BMW was the only one that gave me the least bit of trouble. Didn't think I was ever going to get all the air out of that thing.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

I guess it's time to flush mine.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch90535im
    Well, did my bi-annual drain, flush, and fill this afternoon. Why is the M30 so damned hard to successfully bleed (or is it just me)? Did coolant in 3 vehicles, the water system in the RV, and my pressure washer pump, and out of all of them the BMW was the only one that gave me the least bit of trouble. Didn't think I was ever going to get all the air out of that thing.
    Knock on wood... haven't had a problem with mine yet.

Do you park slightly nose-up and use the bleeder screw with the engine running, heater on, and t-stat open?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Knock on wood... haven't had a problem with mine yet.

Do you park slightly nose-up and use the bleeder screw with the engine running, heater on, and t-stat open?
    Mine is an M20, but I've found it easier to bleed the cooling system with the front end on ramps.

I've had to change my coolant twice in the last few months due to a couple of hoses that decided to crack and empty the coolant for me... However both times i tried bleeding in various situtations (i.e up a hill, heater off/on, etc) but I never got one bubble. No overheating or other temp problems and it's been done for over a month now. Scary...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

When I got my BMW, I replaced the whole cooling sytem, hoses, radiator, water pump and thermostat. Great piece of mind.

I was under the impression that the M30 coolant system was self bleeding, I've never had any problems getting mine to bleed the three times I've had it opened in the last year. If it doesn't bleed easy, check the small coolant line from the radiator to the expansion tank.

it's not self bleeding as there is a little screw near the thermostat. I hate bleeding the m30 also. I after filling up the coolant I take it for a short drive and see the temperature rising up, I get out and start bleeding for 5-10 minutes untill it goes back to normal operating temperature again.

Quote Originally Posted by icesoft
    I was under the impression that the M30 coolant system was self bleeding, I've never had any problems getting mine to bleed the three times I've had it opened in the last year. If it doesn't bleed easy, check the small coolant line from the radiator to the expansion tank.