GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Did my first microfilter today!

Default Did my first microfilter today!

Took about 15 minutes in total. Hardest part was being a contortionist behind the gloveboix and then finding attachments for the vacuum cleaner to get at all the dirt and leaves in there. Big difference in blowing power as well. The old filter was 2 years old and black as hell. This will become a yearly ritual for me now that I have it down pat.

Used this as a guide and it helped a lot:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...aq+microfilter

Hey there thanks for the useful link. I was under the impression from somewhere (can't quite remember where) that my car didn't have one of these? Its a 1990 build so does anyone know if i will or won't before i get in there?! If i do i'll definitely be changing it!
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Hey there thanks for the useful link. I was under the impression from somewhere (can't quite remember where) that my car didn't have one of these? Its a 1990 build so does anyone know if i will or won't before i get in there?! If i do i'll definitely be changing it!
    Bear in mind those instructions are for LHD. Pretty sure Ferret did his and it was a pain so best ask him. I think he said you can get the filter in two parts and that made fitting easier. If you can do it in 20 mins let me know:-)

Do all E34's have microfilters? Mine is a diesel without AC.

No way! They came without AC? Thats balls.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Bear in mind those instructions are for LHD. Pretty sure Ferret did his and it was a pain so best ask him. I think he said you can get the filter in two parts and that made fitting easier. If you can do it in 20 mins let me know:-)
    Right hand drive filters are supplied in two parts - as they're an absoloute <lol, I'm mentally swearing multiple times here> b*tch to get out with the pedals in the way otherwise.

Did the TDs with a new filter, but I sold that this weekend, watched it drive away with a tear in my eye! <more swearing equating to yeah, right!>

You have to put the top half in first, lift it and attach the lower half then carefully slide that bit in!

The 540i microfilter was so blocked it might as well have just been a breeze block. It was a sunday, parts suppliers were closed and I couldnt be arsed having a second go so I just deleted the microfilter completely.

Will eventually get around to putting a replacement filter into it, but had a huge attack of CBA - likely to happen again the instant I think about the rib-bruising task!

I doubt the '89 has a microfilter fitted though, basically if you've got the fan set to '4' and you've got 'blow your face off' airflow from the vents - you've not got a microfilter.

Anyone guessed I've got a hangover from all the <swearing> yet?

So you did it in under 20 mins and it was a piece of cake, right?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    So you did it in under 20 mins and it was a piece of cake, right?
    Takes ten minutes to rip the old filter out, if you know what you're doing and the cars not climate control.

Getting the new one in though... that's a different matter - took me an hour the first time to figure it out around all the pedals!

Have fun with it

I'm glad it helped you out!