GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: another m20 idle issue

Default another m20 idle issue

when I start my car every morning or when the engine is cold first start RPM reaches 1500 to 1700 RPM then after a few minutes (yes minutes!) goes down to normal 750 rpm. Is this normal?didn't have this before...I disconnected the plug of the ICV to see if it changes but it did not. any ideas?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    when I start my car every morning or when the engine is cold first start RPM reaches 1500 to 1700 RPM then after a few minutes (yes minutes!) goes down to normal 750 rpm. Is this normal?didn't have this before...I disconnected the plug of the ICV to see if it changes but it did not. any ideas?
    You can relax - the fast idle when cold is normal. The ECU takes a reading from the blue temp sensor on the thermostat housing and decides whether to enrich the mixture. Once the ECU is happy that the coolant is warm enough it will allow the mixture to return to standard, which drops the RPM's and makes the engine sound and run smoothly once again. Any problems with the idle control system will be down to a failed blue temp sensor, a stuck ICV or a vacuum leak.

HTH,

Shaun M

Could it have anything to do with the idle control valve?

i had the opposite problem (low rpms at startup) this summer. once the engine got a tiny bit warm, idle would go normal. the revs are supposed to increase if you disconnect the icv plug with the motor running, so if this doesn't happen for you i bet your icv or your connection is bad... but really i don't know much other than replacing the icv with a used one worked like a charm for me and i have an m20. my 'new' icv makes a very noticable high-pitched hum, like the book says it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    You can relax - the fast idle when cold is normal. The ECU takes a reading from the blue temp sensor on the thermostat housing and decides whether to enrich the mixture. Once the ECU is happy that the coolant is warm enough it will allow the mixture to return to standard, which drops the RPM's and makes the engine sound and run smoothly once again. Any problems with the idle control system will be down to a failed blue temp sensor, a stuck ICV or a vacuum leak.

HTH,

Shaun M
    hmm funny before it doesn't seem to do this

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

Quote Originally Posted by EngPhys09
    Could it have anything to do with the idle control valve?
    guess not.. I removed it and still is the same

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs

How long have you had the car for BMWRP8? I remember that by disconnecting the blue temp sensor also tricks the car into doing a warm start. The only trouble is, this makes the car difficult to start when warmed up for some reason. As you're having no start-up issues I can only assume that all is well - it sounds like your idle system is working properly - high idle when cold, normal idle when warm.

HTH,

Shaun M

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    How long have you had the car for BMWRP8? I remember that by disconnecting the blue temp sensor also tricks the car into doing a warm start. The only trouble is, this makes the car difficult to start when warmed up for some reason. As you're having no start-up issues I can only assume that all is well - it sounds like your idle system is working properly - high idle when cold, normal idle when warm.

HTH,

Shaun M
    had the car around 2years

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs