GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is any amount of coolant "usage" normal in hot climates?...

Default is any amount of coolant "usage" normal in hot climates?...

i've noticed that as it gets warmer, i've lost a notable amount of coolant more than i did in the winter. 3600 miles in the past month (2 1500 mile constant operation trips, about 20 hours running each), to/from niagra falls, to from tallahassee fl (330 miles) yesterday has reduced the amount of coolant from the 3/4 resivoir (above kalt)i filled it with before i went to ontario to just above the metal fixture in the aforementioned. i am extremely particular about leaks, and i know for sure that the only thing the car leaks onto the ground are copious amounts of water from the constant a/c operation here in florida. temp has been over 80-85 since april. tia.

ps....i would estimate from gravity measurements that the coolant in there (before adding watter wetter) was at least 70% water, if not higher.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 05-17-2004 at 04:58 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Some loss is okay... but alot loss is a sign of leakage... let's say, if you loss 1/4 of your reservoir in one week time, then you got a leak. If the same amount in one month is okay... but your got some kind of leak.

Usually no loss is normal... but on older cars, we get leaks somewhere... hoses is usually the primary reason because alot of people never change all of them.

Default I don't think so...

The system should be closed and not have any allowed path out for the coolant, unless it's getting past the filler cap into the overflow tube.

Your cap may be letting it out at too low a pressure - I've seen it happen on other cars where the car doesn't really overheat but the coolant seeps past the pressure valve into the overflow tube. Once it's past the cap, it's out of the system and you'll see your level drop slowly over time. A bad head gasket can do a similar thing... but I seem to recall your HG being replaced about a year ago...

If you don't see any blue goo (dried coolant) at the connections, I'd suspect that first of all. Plus - the cap is cheaper than a new reservoir or radiator - and it's always nice to try the cheap things first!

- Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

well i guess i could put the new cap that i keep in my toolbox on and see if that helps..its just that, in winter, the thing would lose about 1/2 cup of coolant between 4000 mile oil changes...an amount that was real hard to keep track of it actually losing. thought it might be heater core, as every now and then i smell a little coolant upon a/c startup. this radiator was replaced right before i bought the car, so i hope that it is a matter of the cap not being replaced along with it. i don't know where the overflow tube is on the radiator, as my tank is integrated (not seperated like m30, 60...).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default I'm going through the same thing right now....

I had the cylinder head replaced a year ago (cracks in exhaust valve seats #5 and 3 due to PO's overheat). I have been losing a small amout of coolant since, but assumed it was an external leak. Over the winter I did a lot of work including new rad and rad hoses. For the past month I have kept a tally of coolant consumption both cold and hot, noting outside temp, needle position and mileage (insert nerd). I have noticed about a one 'mark' decline on the integrated expansion tank (I believe you have a 525 M50) over 2000 miles or so, mainly highway miles from the west coast to Calgary return. I haven't been able to locate an external leak so my fear is the obvious. I've pulled the plugs (will post pics and question again later) and found that one side appeared normal (medium brown and toasty) while the other side is noticeably lighter in color. No crust built up, but still makes me think its burning.
    Keep us posted, maybe pull your plugs and have a look for interest's sake

Good luck,

I put almost 20K on mine since last year and smelled coolant quite often, more often after turns and harsh accelerations. I have not yet changed the antifreeze out and have not added to the resovior, was at the mark but now lower and hardly ever smell the antifreeze thing. I read a while ago that there is some leakage acquired around sharp cornering, acceleration and decelleration which explains the smell. In those miles I "knew" there was a leak but yet havent had to add anything and there is some still in there.

what the hell does this mean??? I have no idea but it's what I noticed.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My car seems to loose 1/2 inch or so of every 3 to 4 weeks. I've recently seen dried coolant spray on the side of the air filter box and alternator duct. I've always been able to smell a faint hot antifreeze scent from the front of the car when it's parked. My old 87 325 had the same "odor" but I never had to replace much of the cooling system as my 525 has required. Last time I pulled the plugs the color was fine except for a slight bluish spot at the end of the porcelin tip...not a good sign in my opinion. I just keep a close eye on the temp gauges, coolant levels etc. Head gasket is on my list and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't let go before I can replace it...gotta get that cam tool set soon.
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

I wouldn't write off the head gasket just yet. Small amounts of leakage from the water pump seal can occur without leaving any traces. As far as your spark plugs, I don't think I've ever found spark plugs to have a completely uniform color...there always seems to be a light and a dark side. I suspect it has to do with the orientation of the plug in the combustion chamber.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    I had the cylinder head replaced a year ago (cracks in exhaust valve seats #5 and 3 due to PO's overheat). I have been losing a small amout of coolant since, but assumed it was an external leak. Over the winter I did a lot of work including new rad and rad hoses. For the past month I have kept a tally of coolant consumption both cold and hot, noting outside temp, needle position and mileage (insert nerd). I have noticed about a one 'mark' decline on the integrated expansion tank (I believe you have a 525 M50) over 2000 miles or so, mainly highway miles from the west coast to Calgary return. I haven't been able to locate an external leak so my fear is the obvious. I've pulled the plugs (will post pics and question again later) and found that one side appeared normal (medium brown and toasty) while the other side is noticeably lighter in color. No crust built up, but still makes me think its burning.
    Keep us posted, maybe pull your plugs and have a look for interest's sake

Good luck,
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

RobPatt 93 525ia @122K Guest

Default Ryan, where are you in Florida (when you're here)..?

I'm over in the Ft. Walton Beach area....would be cool to meet/compare notes if the opportunity presents itself....
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    I wouldn't write off the head gasket just yet. Small amounts of leakage from the water pump seal can occur without leaving any traces. As far as your spark plugs, I don't think I've ever found spark plugs to have a completely uniform color...there always seems to be a light and a dark side. I suspect it has to do with the orientation of the plug in the combustion chamber.

Paul Shovestul

i "live" in gainesville, sun in orlando. fort walton is over by the NW corner? or is it down toward miami....i always thought it was over near the border.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast