GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch pedal issue

bad master or no fluid?

Best guess is that your clutch master cylinder has given up.Either way where did the fluid go, on the floor? Is the trail from the master or the slave? Change both and sleep easy.

Default clutch pedal issue

This is slightly similar to a thread posted recently but there wasn't any kind of solution and it was a little unclear what exactly was happening anyway, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see.

Drove my car home fine a couple weekends ago, but then let it sit outside without driving for a few days. I am in Minnesota and yes it's cold. The few nights it was out it didn't go much below freezing (even though today it's 8 F) ..

But when I got in for the first time, the clutch pedal dropped all the way to the floor. It just 'snapped' all the way down. I reached down and pulled it back, and it 'snapped' right back to the top. I went through this a few times. Then, pulled it into neutral, started it and let it warm up. No difference. So I pushed it into the garage (not-heated but out of the wind) I checked a few days later and still nothing.

Are you able to tell if there is any clutch action? Snapping down doesn't sound like hydraulic failure and if the pressure plate were to bust the pedal would still return I think.
    What I am picturing is failure in pedal assembly of some sort.
    Still the simplest thing is to have a look at fluid level and if low find the "exit point"of the fluid.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Ok, Just got home and ran out to check. I had thought that it had to be a mechanical problem as well. A slightly embarrassing thought now as I just checked and see a bone-dry reservoir. I usually rely on the Bentley to pretend like I know what I'm talking about. Being without it right now, I'm assuming the small reservoir labeled "Brake-fluid only" nearer the windshield is the one I should be checking.
    So should this mean a leak? Unless it's a minuscule amount of fluid I feel like I would have noticed it at some point.
    I'll wait for ideas while I run to get some fluid and pour in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewied02
    Ok, Just got home and ran out to check. I had thought that it had to be a mechanical problem as well. A slightly embarrassing thought now as I just checked and see a bone-dry reservoir. I usually rely on the Bentley to pretend like I know what I'm talking about. Being without it right now, I'm assuming the small reservoir labeled "Brake-fluid only" nearer the windshield is the one I should be checking.
    So should this mean a leak? Unless it's a minuscule amount of fluid I feel like I would have noticed it at some point.
    I'll wait for ideas while I run to get some fluid and pour in there.
    On my 525 the brake reservoir is shared with the clutch.

You probably have a leaky slave if you haven't noticed any fluid on the interior, as said above though probably best to change them both, because they usually fail in close proximity so no sense going thru this again in 6 months. I'm shopping myself for my swap, and best price I have found is $62 on the master and $41 on the slave.

Default Your slave or master cylinder has failed

I have fought this beast several times. Exact same symptoms that you described. I think I had both cylinders done 3 times. Seemed to go bad whenever it got really cold here in socal. Then I changed mechanics, had the cylinders and the hoses changed. Everything seems copacetic now...

It's a pretty easy fix, but sucks to see your beautiful car rendered immobile.

dave b
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Default cheap master for clutch?

62 for a master cylinder for the clutch?
    where have you found that is it new? does it meet oem standards?

asap please let me know im looking to replace and 99 is the cheapest ive found

pelican, bma etc.

I just had that problem .. sounds like the clutch master cylinder.. When mine did that I changed out my slave and master clutch cylinders then everything was okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast