GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searched. Have Clues. No Luck Yet.

Default Searched. Have Clues. No Luck Yet.

Ok. My e34 has been off the road for 2 months. Now. Instead of turning it into my local shop I have been searching for the answer.

I now have the Peake Code Reader and got Code 1A meaning

"Control Unit Supply"

My EPROM? My DME? I have looked on this forum and found only one other person who was confused like me. I am checking the Conforti chip in my DME.

But I don't know what else to check.

Cylinder #1 does not fire. I think it has something to do with rain water, as I have had the problem in the past. This time, however, when I replaced the spark plug and boot (which cured previous ailments), I get the same slugging sputter with no power.

Squirted some water on 5 of 6 hot EM's to find that #1 is not joining in with the other kids. I haven't had any luck with the stomp test to double check the code that was thrown.

Here is a link to my previous attempt at overcoming this latest hoop that I need to jump through. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35068
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

Hi,

I would like to ask a few questions and give a few suggestions. I hope we can help you with your problem.

If you say it is rain water then I will go that route. I have seen BMWs with bad seals to the computer and a new computer was needed. So lets hope it isn't that. If #1 cylinder isn't firingl, then try switching the coil to another cylinder to see if the coil is bad. It is common for a direct coil (as on the M50 engines) to go bad and take a computer with it. It does happen and there are people who were lucky and did not need a new computer. The other thing I would check is to make sure electrical connections don't have dirt and spray with electrical contact cleaner or WD40 to remove any left over water. A hair dryer can work too for a no-chemical solution. Make sure your hood seals are on correctly and double check they work. If it still rains, from what you tell us, more rain gets in even while you don't use the car. That isn't good because you are not heating the engine up to get rid of any standing water. In the mean time, protect the engine bay.

Questions:
    Describe how the car starts.
    Describe how it runs on idle, cold, warm.
    Describe how the engine behaves when blipping the throttle, when pushing it and letting the revs go up a little.
    Have you checked the battery voltage? (low voltage can make computers act weird - and even throw a computer code)
    Have you ruled out a bad injector?
    What happened with the washer hose?
    Any pics of the #1 spark plug compared to another cylinder's plug?

Good Luck.
    Brandon J

leaking fuel injector will cause a misfire, as well. with the age of your car, your coilpacks are probably packed with tiny hair cracks that allow the juice to jump to the valve cover at the slightest provocation. you should confirm that the coil has a passable resistance, and try switching it out onto another cylinder. i have a box with 5 or 6 coils and 2 fuel injectors, as well as a MAF and other crud. if you would like to borrow anything, feel free to ask.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I have switched the ignition coil out and it it still #1 not running with another coil pack over it.

My hood seals seem like they are good.

Car starts right up with a noticeable stumble.

Upon throttle it stumbles and sounds like its missing.

The previous water in the cylinder episode took place after rain and was #5 & #6. The two which are a lot closer to the rear of the engine bay (right by the hood seal).

Seemed conspicuous that this time it was #1.

Washer Hose?
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

you might probably want to actually check n.1 to make sure that it isn't sparking, either by taking the coil out, grounding a plug, and having someone else confirm that the pack is not sparking at all, by hooking a vom up to the coil connector with the engine running, or by disconnecting the coil from the harness with the car running to see if the idle degrades. i've had to replace fuel injectors on two separate occasions because they were drowning out spark.

as to #1 getting wet. i've had all 6 get filled up when i parked the car up for a few months.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

What do you mean n.1?

What is a vom?

You are encouraging me to continue to check the ignition coil?

"s to #1 getting wet. i've had all 6 get filled up when i parked the car up for a few months." is something that a couple people viametly denied in my last thread on this problem. Good to see that I am not the only one who might be having rain water issues.
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ericbendler
    What do you mean n.1?

What is a vom?

You are encouraging me to continue to check the ignition coil?

"s to #1 getting wet. i've had all 6 get filled up when i parked the car up for a few months." is something that a couple people viametly denied in my last thread on this problem. Good to see that I am not the only one who might be having rain water issues.
    Ryan is saying to use a Volt Ohm Meter to check that there is an electric current and what the resistance is in the coil. Since you already switched a coil pack, then check to see there is power going to the coil. As Ryan was saying, you can take the coil with plug out. Rest it against the engine so ti can spark. If you see spark, then you ruled out a faulty iginition to cylinder #1. Just because you had water in 5 & 6 does not mean this is the same problem. If the spark is good, then the next thing to check is the fuel injector. So, now you have the first thing to check and rule out.
    Brandon J

Why don't I just replace the fuel injector for #1? I will have to wait until Tuesday to have some help with being CERTAIN that there is spark going to that cell.

Thanks for the direction in making sure that I have spark. I am going to check that spark is being delivered via your method on Tuesday.
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

i don't mean to badger, last time--i promise, but if you need a FI to test with i can certainly leave one in your mailbox tomorrow or such.

Why don't I just replace the fuel injector for #1? I will have to wait until Tuesday to have some help with being CERTAIN that there is spark going to that cell.

Thanks for the direction in making sure that I have spark. I am going to check that spark is being delivered via your method on Tuesday.
    A Young Man with a Plan
    ericbendler@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast