GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understeer? And other minor issues

Default Understeer? And other minor issues

So I have a 1995 525i, and I just realized that the rear bumper is loose, and that a little clip broke, what can I do about this? Also, I've noticed the car has a serious tendency to understeer at times, and is extremely hard to get to oversteer in most situations. Is there any remedy for this?

You can order new clips from bmaparts.com. For the second part, you can try an adjustment

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...eering_box.htm

If you know that your tie rods and idler arms are in good condition.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...ering_link.htm

There's a big difference between the definition of "understeer" and the steering "play" or "slop" caused by component wear as in the links posted above.
    What exactly are you trying to fix? What is your basis for comparison?
    Have you tried simple tire pressure adjustment? New tires? New sway bars? Adjusting your rear sway bar?

Default Try the simple stuff first !!

Assuming you know what understeer means...

First, try 35/35 front and rear on your tires......
    Then, check the manufacture date on your tires...How old are your tires?
    Then take a look at the condition of your front steering components and also check the rear end as that also steers !
    Then you get into the money......
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

I am referring to understeer as in, when entering a sharp corner on either dirt or pavement at speed, the front wheels have a tendency to want to slip, as opposed to the rear sliding. I let off the gas, slightly apply brake, or try to whip the rear out, but the front tires just don't want to dig, as if there's simply too much weight on the rear. My tires are fairly new, and more worn in the rear than the front. I think I'm running around 40 all around as far as pressure goes. Also, I've noticed play in the front wheels. I can actually kick the front wheels back about an inch. They recoil quickly but on the road, if I hit a bump it gives a hard clank. What gives?

Default what gives are your thrust arm bushings....

search here on the forum, an experience everyone has had with those arms... soon you'll change them in an hour, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine40
    I am referring to understeer as in, when entering a sharp corner on either dirt or pavement at speed, the front wheels have a tendency to want to slip, as opposed to the rear sliding. I let off the gas, slightly apply brake, or try to whip the rear out, but the front tires just don't want to dig, as if there's simply too much weight on the rear. My tires are fairly new, and more worn in the rear than the front. I think I'm running around 40 all around as far as pressure goes. Also, I've noticed play in the front wheels. I can actually kick the front wheels back about an inch. They recoil quickly but on the road, if I hit a bump it gives a hard clank. What gives?
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

What model of car? 525? 530? 535? 540?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

As you said you have a '95 525i. Not enough power to whip the rear on asphault roads. So, lets check the other stuff,

As with others, first check to see if there is excessive play in your stock components. Check the tire-rods, the bushings, the ball joints, the bearings, the strut mounts, and the rear dogbones. You mentioned that it understeers at times....that makes me think that the car somtimes sits better on a turn than others. THis can signify a loose or worn out suspension component.

If you are looking to make your suspenion sportier, the first thing to do is to make sure the above components are good.
    Brandon J

Default Thrust arm bushings !!!

Well, if you can kick your wheels backwards, it's your thrust arms but you should also be experiencing some vibration when braking at around 55mph.
    Have someone drive the car at a brisk walking pace and you trot/walk alongside and have them hit the brakes while you watch the wheel...if you see the wheel go backwards in the wheel well, its your thrust arm bushings.
    IMHO 40 psi all around is too much try dropping to 35 F/R and try that.
    Standard wear patterns for the E34 is :
    Rears, in the center and sometimes the inside shoulder.
    Fronts, L & R shoulders.
    Rotate the tires same side front to rear is easiest and gives you some more mileage.
    Start with the easy stuff first then go into checking your steering and suspension components. Sounds to me like your front end is in need of a rebuild though.....!

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine40
    Last edited by philbyil; 11-02-2007 at 12:25 PM.
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Hm sounds like the thrust arm bushings might be it. Yeah, on pavement the power would be the obvious issue, but hitting hard turns it tends to skid the fronts slightly, and I'd prefer that they cruise through and the back would have more skidding going on. On dirt, it understeers badly sometimes, but that's to be expected I suppose. 35 all round for oversteer huh? You don't think higher in the back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast