GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aux fan replacement?

Default Aux fan replacement?

Hey there guys,
    My auxillary fax for the A/C is frozen, reducing the efficacy of the A/C in city traffic. The dealer wants just over $800 to replace it, which strikes me as obscene. I am in the Boston area (Cambridge) and am wondering if anyone knew of a good place to have this done. Or does it even matter? I dont want to stress the engine or the cooling system. Thanks!!

Brian

the aux fan is $507.51 list, id look for a good used one on the net. the ac will not like not having the fan, if the cooling system is in good shape it won't miss it, it just won't have a safety net if the fan clutch barfs in traffic
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Unregistered Guest

WHY is the fan frozen? Relay? Bearings? Switch? T-stat?

It seems to me, replacing the whole unit may be unnecessay, as the fault is probably with a sub-part such as a relay or switch.

In any event, assuming worst-case scenario or replacing the whole shebang, can BMA and get a quote from them. I'll bet it's a LOT cheaper than $800.

Unregistered Guest

WHY is the fan frozen? Relay? Bearings? Switch? T-stat?

It seems to me, replacing the whole unit may be unnecessay, as the fault is probably with a sub-part such as a relay or switch.

In any event, assuming worst-case scenario of replacing the whole shebang, call BMA and get a quote from them. I'll bet it's a LOT cheaper than $800.

they sometimes lock up over the winter when they arn't used, give it a spin by hand and if it turns it may be ok, the resister dies at inoportune times too
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the aux fan is $507.51 list, id look for a good used one on the net. the ac will not like not having the fan, if the cooling system is in good shape it won't miss it, it just won't have a safety net if the fan clutch barfs in traffic
    More like $237 from BMA

Hey, thanks for the replies! I have no idea why it is frozen. All I know is that when I bought the car two years ago, the dealer said that was the only problem with it. They quoted me that price and when I called them again today, it had not dropped appreciably. My knowledge of things mechanical is very limited, so I mostly have to rely on what others tell me. I would like to get it fixed if I could, since it seems important. Is it that fan that is right in front of the radiator? I seem to remember someone saying that the magnet might have broken and gummed up the works... Does that sounds reasonable? Thanks guys!

I've got a good used one for $140, delivered. Guaranteed in perfect working order.

Thanks, Bret
    Raleigh, NC

Unregistered Guest

The is in the details: My alternator crapped out, and dealer quoted BIGBUCKS to replace it. Turns out, the brushes were down to nuthin'. New brushes cost $2-3 at parts stores. While in there, I replaced the bearings: Parts stores wanted ~$25 per bearing, but the local farm tractor dealer had equivalent or better sealed bearing for $4.31. I finished up with (in effect) a totally rebuilt alternator for a small fraction of the dealer's quoted fixit cost.

Your aux fan motor can't be too complicated, and a local auto electric shop could probably fix it fairly cheaply. Warning, though: When you take parts in for replacement at parts shops, just show them the part, and say it's from a VW or Audi. The exact same Bosch part, when cross-referenced to a BMW, may get you a quote several times higher. One way around this is to get the part number off the part, then Google for it: You may find sources and cross-references for a variety of other cars, not just BMW.

Thanks for the replies! I think I should mention that I am of limited mechanical abilities. Replacing bulbs, occasionally the cabin air filter (what a pain in the ass to get to), and fuses are about the extent of my repair experience. Bret, thanks for the offer. Could you email me at briankelley@post.harvard.edu? Thanks!

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast