GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M60 Water Pump Gasket

Default M60 Water Pump Gasket

Is RTV recommended? I installed a Meyle pump (metal impeller) last night using my Bentley, a few posts I searched on and the instructions included with the pump. The instructions indicated the use of a gasket dressing by a name I didn't recognize.

I went ahead and coated both sides of the gasket with sensor safe RTV and finally got it tightened down. I reinstalled everything filled up the system with Zerex G05/distilled water and went for a test drive. Everything was fine during the ride and after washing some ash and accumulated dirt, I parked the car in the garage and went to bed.

When I got up this morning and checked the garage, I found a puddle of Zerex under the car. Since I needed the car I pulled the fan and tried to tighten the bolts, but it still appeared to be leaking so I pulled the whole pump. I ordered a new gasket and will pick it up on the way home.

Since I would like to avoid any further practice on this task, so I skip the RTV and just install the gasket or is there another gasket dressing I should look for?

Thanks. Joel
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

When I put a new Meyle pump on my M60 I used no RTV at all -- I did use a 'nicer' gasket than the paper one which came with the pump. I bought it at the same time I bought the pump on AutohauzAZ for $1 or something. It is a paper gasket, but it has a tiny rubber bead all around the center of the paper. All is well 1500-2000 miles later. Knock on wood of course!

edit: the metal fins confused me - mine isn't a Meyle, it's an Italian brand with metal fins I forget off hand. Can't look at my records right now.
    Last edited by Fetch; 10-29-2007 at 05:21 PM.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Thanks Fetch. The local guy ordered me one, it was just as you described, but it was torn. I need the car tomorrow so I headed up to the dealer.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

What a PITA it was to clean out that RTV! I wish I'd ignored the Meyle instructions and just used the gasket. I finished up around 12 pm last night with the test drive and thankfully had no leaks this morning.

As a side note, the Meyle pump did have some casting flash left inside so it was probably a good thing that I checked it.

I'd originally ordered a URO pump from RockAuto for $50 but it was delayed due to the fires. UPS delivered it last night. The finish was pretty comparable to the Meyle pump, although some surfaces (inside of the radiator hose) that were finished on the Meyle were not finished on the URO. The metal impeller on the URO pump was better formed.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

Default Did I mention that I hate M60 water pumps.

Now going for install #5.

1. Meyle pump. Bad directions on use of RTV. Leaking coolant tubes

2. Meyle pump, new gasket with embedded sealant. Leaking coolant tubes.

3. UROS pump - Cleaned coolant tubes with sandpaper, no petro jelly, just coolant as lubricant - Leaking thermostat housing.

3a. UROS pump new thermostat housing o-ring. Leaking thermostat housing. Determined machining on thermostat recess to be 2mm too deep.

4. Back to Meyle pump. new gasket w/embedded sealant, new o-rings, coolant as o-ring lubricant - leaking coolant tubes. I believe the large o-ring to be too "loose" inside of groove.

5. Tonight, if my wife doesn't kill me. Graf pump. new gasket w/embedded sealant, new o-rings, coolant as lube. new radiator clips.

Wish me luck. I'm getting pretty fast at this with all the practice.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

I used Hylomar... excellent dressing and easy to clean off. RTV is old old old stuff to use.

I haven't been using any dressing. Fetch's suggestion on the better gasket was right on the mark. Since I started with those, it's been the o-rings on either the thermostat or the coolant tubes that have been the problem.

I think I just got crappy parts. I think winfred recommended a Graf or Laso pump in other threads I've read, so I'm going to go with that. My local parts guy said he'd take the Meyle pump back and give me a Graf at the same price.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 11-07-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

Good choice... I have Laso on my car for 6 years now... no problem.

Ahhh. The 5th time is the charm. The Graf pump is definitely the way to go. I installed it last night and it's worked like a charm. No leaks this morning after she cooled down. The impeller was a different from the other pumps, it was welded stainless steel rather than an aluminum casting. It did come with a paper gasket that did not have the embedded sealant.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA