GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ASC feature in 1990 535iA (E34/M30) models...

Default ASC feature in 1990 535iA (E34/M30) models...

Hello, I just got a 1990 BMW 535i (automatic) with 155k miles on it. But I noticed a feature on the dashboard called "ASC", I know it's a form of traction control, but so far I never seen it lit up, and didn't know if it's available on a 1990 E34 with the M30 engine. The car manual made no mention of it. I don't know how to verify if the feature works, never tried anything , don't wanna hurt my baby mind you... So I would like anyone to clarify for me on this matter. Anyone else have a 1990 BMW E34 with ASC feature? Please advise. Thanks!

their should be a button on the front of the shifter console marked asc if you have asc, just about all clusters have the place for the bulb
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

My '90 535iA doesn't have the ASC button or dash indicator, did this feature actually come on the 1990 535? If you don't have a button on the shift console but "ASC" shows up on your dashboard, kinda makes me wonder if the dashboard had been replaced at some time.

Jon I would think that the dash is standard and if the feature is present they add a bulb to light it up. Case in point - rear fog lights - the cutout/decal is there but I don't have them.

Karab, to further what winfred said - on the shifter console on the left hand, under the ashtray is a rectangular piece of plastic trim that comes down on an angle to meet the console - it has two smaller cutouts for buttons - on my car one is used and has a black button with ASC in white under? the button - when you push the button the ASC light, lights up on the console to let you know it is deactivated. If your light is always lit up from the get go - you have a fault and the ASC is not activated. When you are driving around a corner or on a slippery surface (wet pavement) and you mash it - if there is a loss of traction the light will flicker to indicate that the system is detecting a loss of traction and is turning on by cutting power to the engine/throttle.

Hope this helps - if you need a picture email me and I'll get you a pic of what it looks like in my car - haven't figured out how to post pics yet.

regards

Jeff

91 535ia with ASC

Default Ah... the '12/89' release?

Ok, since you mentioned about the ASC feature being mentioned in the manual and having that switch near the ashtray, I definetly don't have that feature. But on the other hand, my car is built on 12/89...so I assume thats just a few days from being a '1991' BMW 535i, and the BMW engineers already came up with the ASC feature and for the sake of simplicy and cost savings, they added the newer model dash on the just-before-1991-model? Just my .2 cents...

Default As seen here , it was an option since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by karab95
    Hello, I just got a 1990 BMW 535i (automatic) with 155k miles on it. But I noticed a feature on the dashboard called "ASC", I know it's a form of traction control, but so far I never seen it lit up, and didn't know if it's available on a 1990 E34 with the M30 engine. The car manual made no mention of it. I don't know how to verify if the feature works, never tried anything , don't wanna hurt my baby mind you... So I would like anyone to clarify for me on this matter. Anyone else have a 1990 BMW E34 with ASC feature? Please advise. Thanks!

funny thing, i have the asc witht he circle around it light on my dash, but no button, and asc in the manual, but the manual does not talk about the dash light, but it says theres a button, so its totally reversed haha

Default ASC Switch

I have the button and when the wheels slip the signal comes up saying ASC but when I shut it off no light come on in the dash. Do I have another burnt out light in my dash? I have to replace lights behind the temp controls and the light in the glove box.