GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crankshaft Sprocket: Replace or don't replace?

Default Crankshaft Sprocket: Replace or don't replace?

The camshaft and oil pump sprockets/gears are off but I need to get the crankshaft sprocket off which doesn't look that easy on my m30. Is it worth the trouble? Need some convincing from you guys. The car has 173K and I plan to keep it.

Remember, I got the oil pan off, radiator off, entire front end of engine is off.

Default I'd change it if you're that far along and changing the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    The camshaft and oil pump sprockets/gears are off but I need to get the crankshaft sprocket off which doesn't look that easy on my m30. Is it worth the trouble? Need some convincing from you guys. The car has 173K and I plan to keep it.

Remember, I got the oil pan off, radiator off, entire front end of engine is off.

ditto
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

yup...change it. Bill R posted a good procedure some time ago to help Jeff N do it which may help if available in the archives or if Jeff would post it.
    George

Default Alright you guys. The word is in.

I'll get my butt in gear to start chipping away on this task.

Thanks much.

Default Just wondering if I need to unscrew a bolt...

or something that's holding the crankshaft sprocket in place before I pull the thing out. It's been a few weeks since I 've been up in that part of the engine and don't recall seeing anything that would indicate such a thing.

Default replacing the lower crank sprocket

Bill and others helped my through this a bit ago. Not too hard really but I did have the engine out of my car.

- removing the sprocket. The sprocket's held on via friction fit combined with a woodruff key or slot (can't recall which) to keep it from rotating. I pulled off the sprocket with a sears gear puller centered on the crank nose. Put the puller arms on the teeth of the sprocket until I pulled it forward enough to get the arms behind the sprocket. Tapped on the gear with a ballpeen hammer to help get it moving. The gear itself is very soft metal so expect that you'll basically ruin the current gear by doing this (there's no way back once you start pulling it).

- replacing the gear. This was fun. You'll need an old qt size pot, a quart of synthetic motor oil, a campstove or similar, a candy thermometer and a good set of pliers. Basically, you'll want to heat the oil bath and sprocket to about 300 degrees (Bill- that sound about the right temp?). Grab (carefully as so not to bung up the teeth - it's soft) the sprocket from the oil bath and quickly slide it onto the crankshaft. Hold it in place and wait about 30 seconds for it to cool. That's it.

Cheers!

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Jeff, thanks for the information. I figured...

pulling the sprocket out will be easier than installing it. I gotta go back to the car and plan a method of attack to get this thing done. Also, I just can't go banging on the sprocket with a hammer upon installation as I will definitley mess up the gear. How did you slide the sprocket back into position? Did you have something soft like a piece of wood or something over the gear to prevent it from getting all banged up from the impact of the hammer?

Default Hector, reread Jeff's post..... no hammer needed on installation

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    pulling the sprocket out will be easier than installing it. I gotta go back to the car and plan a method of attack to get this thing done. Also, I just can't go banging on the sprocket with a hammer upon installation as I will definitley mess up the gear. How did you slide the sprocket back into position? Did you have something soft like a piece of wood or something over the gear to prevent it from getting all banged up from the impact of the hammer?

Default Really!! Just slide it on the crankshaft???!!!

That is too easy and shweet. Now I'm looking forward to installing this. So I was wrong, installation is easier than removal.

Yup, I see now. "Hold it in place and wait about 30 seconds for it to cool" is the give away.

Thanks Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast