GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Newly Bought E46 Problems

Default Newly Bought E46 Problems

So my friend just bought a 2000 328i and it already has some problems.

1) When she hits the gas, more often than not there's a very high pitched noise. Acceleration seems fine, just the noise.
    2) Engine service light came on and an Autozone guy diagnosed the air/fuel intake or something like that (I wasn't there for the whole conversation) but that's all his computer said. Possible reason for a small smell of burning after driving a while?
    3) When the defrost and rear defrost are both on, the radio cuts out. Not the cd player.
    4) After just receiving an oil change, the oil light comes on, bad oil pressure?

I know this is choppy but as it's not my car, I'm doing my best to get the issues across. I'm just wondering if you guys had some insight or quick fixes or guesses. Thanks for any help.

~Greg

Quote Originally Posted by JetMech

1) When she hits the gas, more often than not there's a very high pitched noise. Acceleration seems fine, just the noise.

Check belts or pully related components, AC, powersteering etc.

2) Engine service light came on and an Autozone guy diagnosed the air/fuel intake or something like that (I wasn't there for the whole conversation) but that's all his computer said. Possible reason for a small smell of burning after driving a while?

These models have a known fuel transfer pump issue when fuel is low or if you pull a .5 G or so in a turn. The transfer pump does not pick up fuel, runs a bit lean and throws an a/f code.

3) When the defrost and rear defrost are both on, the radio cuts out. Not the cd player.

Seems like a grounding issue, could not recall if the radio and rear defrost are on the same circuit called "accessories" check acc fuse for corrosion or sloppy fit.

4) After just receiving an oil change, the oil light comes on, bad oil pressure?

Have this checked ASAP, hope they added the right amount of oil in the engine, can't see oil pump failing after an oil change.

I know this is choppy but as it's not my car, I'm doing my best to get the issues across. I'm just wondering if you guys had some insight or quick fixes or guesses. Thanks for any help.

~Greg
    Post results please.
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

for this problem

When the defrost and rear defrost are both on, the radio cuts out. Not the cd player.
    i would recommened to check the ignition switch they got lots of problems i diagnosed a simeler problem which led me tto the ignition switch

~Greg

~Greg
    1) normal - exchaust noise... upgrade intake to K&N should fix some of it.
    2) idk
    3) idk
    4) oil change in dealership? BMW says you should have only 10W-60 Castrol in it. that's what i use. if you put anything else in it, might be a problem.