GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Lever Hanging Up On Cover

Default Throttle Lever Hanging Up On Cover

'95 540i/6

Twice now, the throttle cable/arm/lever under my engine cover has snagged something in that area and held wide open. Scary! Both times, I had accelerated hard, opening up the throttle fully. The first time, I had to turn the key off in traffic b/c I didn't know what the hell was going on (engine immediately redlined). The second time I was able to *smack* the accelerator pedal with my foot, and it released.

In researching the problem, I found that the plastic engine cover isn't really attached to anything (except one of the throttle cables). It seems like the throttle lever may be hanging up on the loose engine cover. Anyone have this problem? Is the loose cover in the wrong place, allowing something to catch on it? The car is new to me, so how does the engine cover attach to the top of the engine?

Thanks.

apparently(dont ask me how i remeber this) the screws/bolts/whatever from the e39 540 are a better item and can be used with very little modification.One of the guys who know will tell you how and what!
    Gone but not forgotten

I had this and I don't think its anything to do with the engine cover. The accelerator cables (one for pedal, one for cruise) fit into a bracket under the engine cover (on the right side of the engine if you're standing at the front looking back). The cables are held in place by plastic adjusters that move with the metal bracket. When the cable gets stuck I think its one of two things, the plastic adjuster comes away from the metal bracket so when you lift off it keeps the bracket held back and the power on OR the cable comes away from the plastic adjuster so the net result is the same. Its more prone to happen when you accelerate harder as the cables are less likely to re-seat themselves.

Take the engine cover off (4 blots) and you will see the bracket with the cables going into it. Move the bracket as though you are pressing the accelerator (push it towards the firewall) and you should see where the problem lies. Either way I think if you replace the plastic adjuster(s) you will be ok, its a bit fiddly but an easy job.

Its hard to explain but when you see it you will know, sorry I don't have any pics but I'm sure there are some about somewhere.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

I am not sure that the throttle lever can catch on the engine cover since the brackets allow the cover to sit above the cover with plenty of clearance of the lever. I have the e38 brackets on my engine cover which makes the cover sit a little lower but there still is plenty of clearance.

I actually had the same problem you had in traffic two week ago. I was comming up to a line of traffic sitting at the light and my revs would not decrease and I was unable to keep the car from moving with the brakes. Liek you I turned off the engine, restarted, and redlined. Unfortunately I could not the throttle unstuck and ended up having to get my car pushed out of traffic to figure out the problem, which I never did btw, it just started working again.

I would suggest making sure the clips that hold the cables to the lever are working properly first. Like leicesterboy15 said, they can come unclipped and would cause the cable to be stuck. I would also suggest checking the throttle cables themselves. Mine were stretched out and frayed in places which resulted in similar symtoms to your throttle being stuck open.

I just undertook the job of replacing all of my throttle cables and have not had one single problem since, no sticking or unexplained revving. Take a look through my DIY. It may help you find things to check for while you try to figure this out.

-Patrick

Awesome info, guys. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Default Here's a Pic

See that cable that curves towards the dipstick?
    That's the one that runs under the cover to teh front of the car.

You shouldn't have any binding from the cables unless your cover OR the insulating pad (between the cover and engine) is catching something.
    Remove the top cover, check for binding or catching. If the cover is loose that may be the problem.
    Check the cover and mounts for cracks.
    Also check the throttle bracket is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by filmy540i/6
    '95 540i/6

Twice now, the throttle cable/arm/lever under my engine cover has snagged something in that area and held wide open. Scary! Both times, I had accelerated hard, opening up the throttle fully. The first time, I had to turn the key off in traffic b/c I didn't know what the hell was going on (engine immediately redlined). The second time I was able to *smack* the accelerator pedal with my foot, and it released.

In researching the problem, I found that the plastic engine cover isn't really attached to anything (except one of the throttle cables). It seems like the throttle lever may be hanging up on the loose engine cover. Anyone have this problem? Is the loose cover in the wrong place, allowing something to catch on it? The car is new to me, so how does the engine cover attach to the top of the engine?

Thanks.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

You guys were spot on! The engine cover wasn't the culprit - it was the CC cable. The plastic lock nut was/is stripped, so the CC cable flops around loose at the bracket when the throttle is opened, and catching/snagging on the sheath on deceleration (holding the throttle lever in place).

For the time being, I have pulled off the CC cable end until I can either get another nut for it, or replace the entire thing. I'll check RealOEM to see if that plastic lock nut is available.

Many thanks.

Good to know.. I used to have a 740 and it happened to me twice. Both times I was freeking out and the brakes wouldn't even hold the car still at a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by filmy540i/6
    You guys were spot on! The engine cover wasn't the culprit - it was the CC cable. The plastic lock nut was/is stripped, so the CC cable flops around loose at the bracket when the throttle is opened, and catching/snagging on the sheath on deceleration (holding the throttle lever in place).

For the time being, I have pulled off the CC cable end until I can either get another nut for it, or replace the entire thing. I'll check RealOEM to see if that plastic lock nut is available.

Many thanks.
    UPDATE: It's not a plastic threaded nut - it's a broken hardened rubber grommet that goes through the holder/bracket. It seems nobody sells these outright (BMW ought to give them away seeing as they're a safety hazard). Is/are these grommets part of a new cable assembly? If so, I have to get both accel and cruise. Sucks for me. Where can I get a good deal on cables, besides the $tealer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast