GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 buying tips?

Default E39 buying tips?

Well, the family accord has blown a headgasket (finally) and now my dad wants to get an e39, we settled on a 528i for the mix of good mileage and and reliable engine.
    Our budget is about 7-11k. Now, I most of the quirks and things to watch out for on an e34, does anyone know these things about e39s? What milage is best to get? As low as possible or after some major service landmark? What is the best combination of features to get (is sports package any good, etc.). Is it as easy to work on as an e34?

sport is nice, single vanos is a little better engine in my opinion, cooling systems and ac compressors are 100k miles parts, so are front struts and rear suspension lower ball joints, window regulators are complete **** on all corners, big heavy wheels make them shimmey just like a e34, plastic interior stuff sucks bad and interior gets ugly fast
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I'll simply add that I believe the 530i gets better mileage than the 528i and the 525i probably beats them both. You might want to check into: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe39/

I know that the 530 is the best in terms of power and technology, but all of them are at least 16k, which is over our budget. There's a 5-speed 528 touring sport in maine that we're hoping to check out.

Yeah, that budget thing hung me up, too. That's why I chose an E34! But check out the E39 Yahoo group. It's one of the best if you're looking for real and useful information on those cars.

Dammit, that Maine one was already sold. I'll have a hell of a time finding another 5 speed touring with sports package. Probably won't even happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Snork
    Dammit, that Maine one was already sold. I'll have a hell of a time finding another 5 speed touring with sports package. Probably won't even happen.
    There are two on autotrader right now, neither are sports models though. You can usually tell by the trim - the sports models have the blackout window trim, regular models have chrome. Often the text in the ad either leaves it out or says it's a sports when it isn't.

Good luck!

Hey, for only $25k you can get a 2003 540iT with a sports package...
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

The i6 models all have rack/pinion steering vs the steering box on the v8 models, so feel sharper at the steering wheel. The radiators are made of plastic and prone to cracks (i've just had to change mine, decided to do the hoses and pump while I was at it).
    The cup holders are a bit rubbish, but the interior tends to look good unless the previous owner didnt look after it.
    The rear suspension is more complex, so there's lots more bushings/ball joints that can wear out.
    ---UK 05/99 BMW 523i SE, M52BTU25, steptronic, Chassis Number GH75179, 161,000 miles---

If only there was a alpine white 95 e34 around here in manual, I'd just get that and give my dad my car. It seems like all of them are automatic

Quote Originally Posted by splower
    The i6 models all have rack/pinion steering vs the steering box on the v8 models, so feel sharper at the steering wheel.
    That's not a given, though I'd much rather have an I-6 than a V8 myself. Personally I find the rack-and-pinion too touchy on-center to the extent they just don't go down the road straight without lots of correction. Seemingly not as bad with the 17" wheels and fatter tires of the sport package though.
    Quote Originally Posted by splower
    The radiators are made of plastic and prone to cracks
    They're plastic on the E34, too. And the E28, too. The E39's are just made of really crappy (recyclable?) plastic that won't last more than 60k, it seems. Some say it's worse on the V8s, but I don't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snork
    If only there was a alpine white 95 e34 around here in manual, I'd just get that and give my dad my car.
    You mean like my sig? Don't worry; one will show up as soon as you buy an E39!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast