GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i EAT Chip on 89 Octane

Default 535i EAT Chip on 89 Octane

Since Mark spec'd 91+ octane with his chip thats all I've run in my car since installing the chip a couple years ago. I let my wife borrow the car the other day & she forgot & filled up with 89 octane. I expected to hear pinging & experience a loss of power but so far there is no noticeable difference. All our gas is a 10% ethanol blend & I have read that you get a higher octane with the blend then what's stated on the pump. Maybe our 89 is actually 90+?? No idea but I've been driving around for several days now and the car runs fine. If there is a power loss its negligible and I haven't noticed it. With the price of gas these days I'm going to run the 89 for a couple tankfuls & see if there are any issues.
    90 535im
    02 R1100S, 87 R100S
    76 R90/S,73 R75/5
    Alfa Romeos- 65 Giulia Spider Veloce
    & 66 Duetto 1600 Spider

I did at most 1 tankfull of premium when I 1st installed the EAT chip, then went straight to mid-grade. When gas prices went sky high, I started alternating mid-grade and regular with each subsequent fill. Anymore I run regular, ~86-87, all the time and no signs of pinging. Perhaps I can get away with it since I'm at high altitude and have the 19 lb Mustang injectors and a 3.5 bar FPR? I think mine runs a little on the rich side and is more reluctant to ping because of it?
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

mine pinged like a bitch on 87 during a road trip with 19# mustang injectors, it was the last time i took it to va and gas prices were high as ****, i figured it wouldn't be a problem as i was at interstate speeds all day and for the most part it was fine, but pulling out of piss stops it sounded like a bucket of washers rolling down a hill, and maybe lost a mpg or two
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I believe you don't get a ping immediately if you run a lower grade gas. If you consistently run 87, the car will then develop the PING. One tank of gas will not cause this problem.

unless you run it down pretty theres usually enough good gas to dilute the cheapo for one tank, mine rattled like a bitch right off the bat the 1st and only tank of crap i pumped, but the EAT chip is fairly hot, a less juicy chip may be more tolerant

Quote Originally Posted by E34N
    I believe you don't get a ping immediately if you run a lower grade gas. If you consistently run 87, the car will then develop the PING. One tank of gas will not cause this problem.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I run 87 AKI, 91 RON with no problems - well not normally but recently I have for a few tank fulls and it was fine.