GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Installing Rear Heated Seats in a 750il

Default Installing Rear Heated Seats in a 750il

I tried searching but didn't turn up anything on this.

I have a 1990 US version 750iL, built 7/89, 182k miles.

I have a pair of heated rear seats that I bought from a friend of a friend who is pretty knowledgeable on E32s. In taking mine out, I don't see any differences in the wiring coming from the seats, bottom or back. I do see some additional wiring coming from an unused connector on the heated base. I don't see any additional wiring on the heated seat back.

Am I to assume that only the bases are heated on the rear seat, and to install them all I need to do is install the seat backs and find the wiring in the console and add the switches?

Thanks,

vince

Vince, to make it sure, ask here on the E32 board.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/
    Also mention from which built year the donated heated seats come. That might be different.
    There are 2 different switches for the seat heaters, the old ones on low, on-high and off, the newer ones have under the push button a electronic control.
    The wiring/plugs might be different.
    On my website below there are the wiring diagrams for the E32 for each year, that will help you.
    The switches for rear seat heating are located left and right of the cigarette lighter in the rear at the console between the front seats.
    Wires should usually be already there under the carpet, but that also depnds on built year.

Hi Shogun,

Thanks for the reoly. I tried to log in to the E32 board, but wasn't able to get my password sent to me (forgot..) nor was I able to re register under a different name. I sent a note to the webmaster, but that was only about 12 hours ago...

I am not sure of the year of the donated rear seats (Lear brand) ,think it's 93 or 94. There are some minor differences in the bottom mounting, but the backs looked the same and the bottoms hooked up fine. Right now all I need to do is find the switch wiring and figure out which switches I need and which of the under rear seat fuses are which.

Once I find out what is what I'll let the boards know.

Thanks!

vince

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Vince, to make it sure, ask here on the E32 board.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/
    Also mention from which built year the donated heated seats come. That might be different.
    There are 2 different switches for the seat heaters, the old ones on low, on-high and off, the newer ones have under the push button a electronic control.
    The wiring/plugs might be different.
    On my website below there are the wiring diagrams for the E32 for each year, that will help you.
    The switches for rear seat heating are located left and right of the cigarette lighter in the rear at the console between the front seats.
    Wires should usually be already there under the carpet, but that also depnds on built year.

That you should find out from the wiring diagrams by built year (electronic troubleshooting manual). Fuse box details and connection details usually start around page 16, att about the end there are the component locations, that show you pics of the connectors, the wires and the location of these connectors. Very good info.
    Biggest difference between old and new E32: the rear headrests were in older production years attached to the seat back rest, on newer ones they are fixed on the rear metal plate between the trunk and interior room.

Default What Underseat Fuses are What

Hi Shogun,

The wiring diagrams are great, and a lot of help. Both seats are the earlier stylewith the headrests in the seat.

My question now is how to figure out what underseat fuse is what. The box has a label on it, but it doesn't cover all the fuses, and I don't see any way (numbers) to determine what fuse position is what. Maybe I missed a picture that would answer all my questions?

Thanks again,

vince

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    That you should find out from the wiring diagrams by built year (electronic troubleshooting manual). Fuse box details and connection details usually start around page 16, att about the end there are the component locations, that show you pics of the connectors, the wires and the location of these connectors. Very good info.
    Biggest difference between old and new E32: the rear headrests were in older production years attached to the seat back rest, on newer ones they are fixed on the rear metal plate between the trunk and interior room.

The wiring diagrams have a detailed list of fuse numbers and for what these fuses are, by production year. Print that out, it is about 10 A4 pages.