GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Shifter Cable Help/ No park or reverse

Default Shifter Cable Help/ No park or reverse

90 535 Auto.

There is no mention of this problem on the forms anywhere.

Shifter got stiff over past couple of months. Does not get driven much. Tonight had the car out and went to park and car kept rolling. Moved shifter a bit then no reverse. Selector lights not correct to gear. THEN, the "trans program" msg appeared and shifted hard into reverse and into limp mode.

After switching the battery the "trans" light was gone. Still no reverse and park.

Does this sound like the shifter cable pulled apart and cant return to P and R? It looks fine on the t-handle end.

Is it a big job to switch the cable out with a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PI

If I remember correctly, the cable is adjustable on the transmission end so it could be as simple as it being out of adjustment. Its visible on the driver's side of the transmission if you can get under the car. Haven't had to switch one out, but I suspect its probably not that hard to do even with all the exhaust piping and heatshields in place. HTH

it is right infront of the fill plug, drivers side. Easy as heck to get to... Tat the worst you could lift the rear end off the ground, apply the parking brake and shiftit by hand at the lever to see if it is a linkage problem or a tranny problem

Got the car up in the air. Sure enough, the cable was kinked at the trans end. Soon as I touched it with a wrench it broke. Part is $28. Hopefully all goes good.
    Thanks to those who replied. PI
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by piman
    Got the car up in the air. Sure enough, the cable was kinked at the trans end. Soon as I touched it with a wrench it broke. Part is $28. Hopefully all goes good.
    Thanks to those who replied. PI
    Wow, that's the first time I've heard of a cable doing that. Did you check the transmission selector arm to see if it wasn't getting full movement and thus putting extra stress on the cable? Best of luck replacing it.

The cable arm moves freely and is able to (manual) shift through the gears. Weird but at least there is a thread now for someone.TKS
    PI