GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacement windshield question

Default Replacement windshield question

Replacement windshield question:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...73&hg=51&fg=05
    I need 2 of #1 correct?
    And 6 of #8?
    Where can I get #8?

It looks like #8 is the rubber block the windshield rests on. There were only two on my car. Unless they are ruined somehow they are reusable.
    If #1 is the clips that the molding snaps to they come with the windshield, installed in the proper places even. An aftermarket glass wont have them.
    Put the clips on the glass before installing it. New moldings are usually required as well.
    I hope I understood your question correctly, the diagram was difficult for me to interpret.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thank you for your response!
    Any idea what I can expect to pay for an oem windshield at someplace other than the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by bondheli
    Thank you for your response!
    Any idea what I can expect to pay for an oem windshield at someplace other than the dealer?
    Yeah, I've needed to replace mine since I got the car. It's got a very small crack (as well as a bit of pitting), but hasn't spread one bit. I hope I haven't jinxed myself. LOL!!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

My insurance paid for mine so I'm not sure about cost.
    The wholesale cost to the glass installer was ~$250 they said, Ithink retail is closer to $400.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thinking back to the (numerous) times when I've had a windscreen replaced, it looks like #1 is the clip that fits around the edge of the windscreen and is used to attach the clip-on windscreen side trims (which, unhelpfully, aren't shown in that RealOEM figure) to the windscreen.

If my memory serves me correctly, there are about 6 of #1. Given that they're cheap, you might as well order 8 of them?

The factory glass comes with the clips. Aftermarket glass does not come with the clips. You should buy those 2 resting supports as the original one can get damaged or I have seen lost from a previous glass fix. Be very careful as not to damage the "decorative frame" around the windshield or its clips. If you have an option, go with the more expensive glass. They are usually thicker and made better. I have seen the cheaper ones crack easier from normal use and get more pits. And since the cheaper ones are thinner, the windshield fogs up easier and can transmit more noise.

When you get it done, have some sandpaper ready. Depending on your vehicle, there could be rust in the windshield channel. I did my glass along with 3 other e34 owners at the same time. Saved money that way. There was rust on one of the other e34s and I sanded it down to prep for the primer the glass installer uses. There is a shelf life on the caulking the installer uses so make sure you can see it. The caulking gets a little chunky and does not seal well if past expiration.
    Brandon J