GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help! cleaned engine on 530i, now won't start

Default Help! cleaned engine on 530i, now won't start

I cleaned my engine with a degreaser, hosed it off, and it started and ran fine. Drove for about 1/2 hour to Home Depot. Got back in the car, and it ran very rough (misfiring). Drove for a few hundred yards. Got back to the car, tried to start it and no go.
    Is this something related to ignition parts getting wet? Could something serious have happened when I cleaned the engine?
    Any advise would be helpful.

Paul K.
    94 530it

Default Check you sparklplug wells to be sure that they aren't full of water

I doubt that they are if you drove since washing, but have a look. I am careful to avoid electronics when I spray my engine. I use a leaf blower to dry the engine bay as soon as I'm done.

Good Luck

BigBore Guest

Default It is wet

too much humidity in some parts of electrical system, check 'n dry.

It has been 2 days since this and the car still won't remain running. If it is left alone for a few hours, it will start, then quit eventually, usually after only a few minutes. It is acting like it did when the fuel pump failed a few months ago. Is this possibly a crankshaft sensor problem? Could some degreaser have gotten someplace and not rinsed properly?

Default My indy advises against washing BME engines with

water, because what you are experiencing is not uncommon. They use only solvents, such as pure odorless mineral spirits.

There is probably some wet where it don't belong and now you have to find it, or wait until it finally evaporates (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by jpkasper
    It has been 2 days since this and the car still won't remain running. If it is left alone for a few hours, it will start, then quit eventually, usually after only a few minutes. It is acting like it did when the fuel pump failed a few months ago. Is this possibly a crankshaft sensor problem? Could some degreaser have gotten someplace and not rinsed properly?

Default BTW which "BME" do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    water, because what you are experiencing is not uncommon. They use only solvents, such as pure odorless mineral spirits.

There is probably some wet where it don't belong and now you have to find it, or wait until it finally evaporates (hopefully).

I drive a 94 530it.

Unregistered Guest

Default I had same issue

I cleaned my motor and had the same problem happen to me. I have the 95 540i. After much time vested in fixing it, it ended up being water in the spark plug holes under the coil cover. blew it out and all I have now is a check light, but runs fine.

how does Gordon keep his **** so clean you ask? Its in his living room next to the piano.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Unregistered Guest

Keep it outside with the hood up if possible and let the sun and wind dry it. I have heard of people having problems with other cars after cleaning motors. There is definitely some water where it should not be. What is weird is that you have driven it a bit you would think the heat would dry anything under there. I know of a Honda once that got wet and never ran right again a few sensors had to be replaced before the thing did, it cost my friend around 600.00. Good luck