GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5HP30 (540i Auto Trans) Question...

Default 5HP30 (540i Auto Trans) Question...

Hey fellows,

Trying to diagnose an issue with the transmission in the M-Sport. Well, for starters the present Transmission is a Remanufactured unit that the PO replaced back in 10/'02 @ 108k miles. Well, the car has ~185k Miles on it now, and newish Amsoil Synthetic fluid (Changed @ 7/'06 w/ 165k). Anyway, the fresh fluid seem to help somewhat, nothing hugely substantial. Just lately I've noticed a pretty distinct 'lag' between changes from R to D, D to R, or wherever. Accompanying this lag, just recently (During these shifts from R to D/etc) there's a point where it bogs down, and RPMs drop pretty significantly, like it wants to, essentially, stall out.

Wondering if anybody might have any clue what's going on, and what I might want to try.

...And, yes I know...

-Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Call Kirt Koeller.... don't email him... call him up. He would be happy to help you out. Sounds like a valve body issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Call Kirt Koeller.... don't email him... call him up. He would be happy to help you out. Sounds like a valve body issue to me.
    Thanks for the contact, I'll do just that.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Same thing happened to me.
    I changed fluid (Pennzoil Multi ATF), new filter (the FILTRAN from the local stealer), did the shogun reset.
    It took a couple of days for the trans to relearn, but now it shifts smoothly and no lag.

The old fluid was still good and clear, but the filter was the old stule and the housing had collapsed and was concave instead of flat.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB
    Same thing happened to me.
    I changed fluid (Pennzoil Multi ATF), new filter (the FILTRAN from the local stealer), did the shogun reset.
    It took a couple of days for the trans to relearn, but now it shifts smoothly and no lag.

The old fluid was still good and clear, but the filter was the old stule and the housing had collapsed and was concave instead of flat.
    Spoke to Kirt today, and I'm going to try the Reset and see what comes of that.

I'll keep you guys posted.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik540i
    Spoke to Kirt today, and I'm going to try the Reset and see what comes of that.

I'll keep you guys posted.
    Did the 'Hard Reset' today (Or, atleast I think we did). Had our trusted, local independent help us out and he explained that leaving it disconnected overnight was way overkill, and that only a few moments were needed to ground out to reset. So, we went about it this way and the results weren't what I'd hoped.

Things started out optimistic, as upshifts seemed to be quite a bit smoother than before. Even sliding it from D to R/etc. seem to be somewhat less dramatic, initially. Well, as things got warmer and I drove it a little longer the same symptoms started showing their ugly self again and, now it doesn't appear the Reset helped us out. I was going to give it a little while, and give it the chance to possibly 'learn.'

Anyway, at this point, I'd just like to confirm that you only need a few moments to properly perform the 'Hard Reset' and if that's true, if we should consider looking into the Valve Body update, which I'm not entirely sure this Reman Transmission had done to it....(Still trying to confirm it's a ZF Rebuild, and also if it even has the Valve Body update).

Any help is appreciated.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Just to be sure, make the reset a bit longer, let's say 30 minutes, not a big deal.
    Maybe you also ask your questions on the tranny forum of european transmissions where Kirt Koeller works
    http://www.europeantransmissions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Just to be sure, make the reset a bit longer, let's say 30 minutes, not a big deal.
    Maybe you also ask your questions on the tranny forum of european transmissions where Kirt Koeller works
    http://www.europeantransmissions.com/
    Thanks Shogun,

I went ahead and asked/posted. Kirt was most helpful on the phone, so I'll see what he says concerning this issue.

TIA,
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Kirt is a great guy... he helped me out with my tranny problem... rebuilt my valve body. Do the Shogun's method and try driving as long as you can... it is not an overnight cure thing, but rather it takes time.

I hope on that board not only "Herb" answers , which seems to be (maybe) a member of europeantransmissions.
    Would be good to have such a board only for special problems on trannies and discussions among experts.

Similar to this forum for ECU and MOTRONIC special questions
    http://www.bmwecu.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast