GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 new problems i noticed...

Default 2 new problems i noticed...

My fan blower has screwed up. Only works on 4 (max) and blows very softly on any other setting. weird thing is that it all started working again after i filled up at the gas station, then when i turned my car off and started it again later, it went out again.

Second, my kick down switch isn't kicking down to the best gear for max acceleration.

Also, I can't find the part on realoem when using the partnumber on BMWe34.net's Fan Blower maintenance page for the resistor.

Do you need to know where the resistor is? Mine did this once or twice, I would turn it on high then back it off to 3, 2, 1 slowly giving each position time to engage, it solved the problem.
    [IMG][/IMG]Real Racers Go Left AND Right

well it's dark and i have to wait till tomorrow to start searching for it.

i'm not finding this pack, i took off that triangular carpet piece and didnt find much.

... also how do you remove the kickdown switch?
    Last edited by ///Sniper535; 10-28-2007 at 04:09 PM.

I had similar symptoms but it's not necessarily due to the resistor or 'sword'.
    If the blower works in position 1 and stays at that intensity up until 4, it might be the centerconsole dial itself not working properly.

In my case I had to find the resistor on the righthand side. It was a VALEO type and was apparently fine. I just cleaned it a little and afterwards just tapped the dial to get it working (old school banging, kicking, knocking on appliances that don't work properly sometimes still works ).
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

i don't know if this has anything to do with it but when my car has warmed up, turned off, then started up when warm, all the settings on the blower seem to work fine...

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    i don't know if this has anything to do with it but when my car has warmed up, turned off, then started up when warm, all the settings on the blower seem to work fine...
    That sounds more like a bad contact along the blower control lines: dial switch, plugs, wires, plug at the resistor. If you have a resistor instead of a sword I'd bet on the dial because that resistor didn't look like it could just fail. It's a fairly solid thing.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster
    That sounds more like a bad contact along the blower control lines: dial switch, plugs, wires, plug at the resistor. If you have a resistor instead of a sword I'd bet on the dial because that resistor didn't look like it could just fail. It's a fairly solid thing.
    I have a suspicion about these things - and I think a lot of the time it's to do with the microfilter.

I expect that when the microfilter gets /really/ shafted the following happens with the sword type packs:

.) microfilter blocks, airflow drops to near zero at position 1
    .) position 1 is where the most energy (heat) gets dumped into the resistor pack
    .) with the reduced airflow and excess heat, the resistor pack cannot be cooled efficiently and burns out.

I need to pull apart the heater unit on the 540 because of something similar I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    I have a suspicion about these things - and I think a lot of the time it's to do with the microfilter.

I expect that when the microfilter gets /really/ shafted the following happens with the sword type packs:

.) microfilter blocks, airflow drops to near zero at position 1
    .) position 1 is where the most energy (heat) gets dumped into the resistor pack
    .) with the reduced airflow and excess heat, the resistor pack cannot be cooled efficiently and burns out.

I need to pull apart the heater unit on the 540 because of something similar I think.
    Didn't the filter get introduced from '92?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster
    Didn't the filter get introduced from '92?
    Not sure of the exact date, but your 91 shouldn't have one.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast